Prologue - A Brief History

Hundreds of years ago, humans and supernaturals cohabited peacefully, even regularly coming together. Humans had money, land, power; supernaturals had skill and ability that humans could barely comprehend. The partnership was beneficial for both sides. But where there is difference and unknown, there is jealousy and hatred. Nobody knows exactly who started the war, but everyone knows who prevailed. It's common history. Witches were evil and therefore burnt at the stake, werewolves and vampires became abominations and angels, demons and the fay became myths and legends. (Isn't it funny how whoever wins the battle always claims to have fought for the more just cause?) Humans thrived and supernaturals were outlawed, forced into hiding to prevent their extinction.

Of course, life before the war wasn't perfect. Life is never perfect, save a few rare, precious moments. But for supernaturals, life after the war was far worse. And once a situation has hit rock bottom, life digs further down. Supernaturals fought amongst themselves and there was a time that demons were abhorred and practically blamed for the coming of the war entirely, mostly by fay. The fay are so well-loved that nobody dared disagree and so, to know a demon became the deepest shame a supernatural could bring to their clan. In 1987, demons were finally allowed back into the main civilisation of supernaturals but were only fully desegregated in 2001.

But even a demon has never been seen to be as much an abomination as a human.

You don't believe this, of course. It's all fiction to you, and fair enough. I didn't believe it either.