Lai Guanlin - Why so Cold? [Part 1]

This one is for hayunrun
hope you like it ❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎

NOTE: 선배/선배님 means Senior and
후배 means Junior. These are formalities many Korean people use in school/work settings.

◈ ────────── ◈

I walked through the school hallways watching the different students talk amongst one another. Many of them bowed towards me when they saw me which I responded to with a big smile.

It was only common for them to do so since I was a junior in the freshman floor of my school. I walked down to the end of the hallway until I saw who I was looking for.

'There you are Lai Guanlin.'

His back was facing me and he was talking to one of his friends, but I could tell it was him from his tall frame. My eyes lit up with a mischievous glint as I ran up behind and ended up riding on his back. I heard him yell in shock only to groan when he saw me. His friend Lee Daehwi on the other hand was holding his chest and breathing heavily.

"Amai 선배! What do you think you're doing?! You almost scared me half to death!" I let out a laugh as I got off Guanlin's back. I tried to help him straighten up his uniform but he just pushed away my hand.

I brushed it off and faced Daehwi.
"It's not my fault you're so easy to scare." I looked over at Guanlin and saw him avoiding my gaze. I leaned forward and smiled. "So, how's my favourite 후배?"

"I would be better if you didn't show up." I watched as Daehwi began to scold him but I just digested his cold remark. This was a daily thing; I would try and talk to Guanlin and like always, he would be his cold self and ignore me.

I took a step back and nodded my head, accepting my defeat. "I guess I should be heading back. But don't think this is over. Bye guys!" I walked away and started walking to my class in the flor above as the two boys walked into their classroom.

When I arrived at my class, I plopped in my seat and started to hit my head on the table. My seat mate and best friend, Jawahir, rolled her eyes and stopped me from making more noise.

"Yah, why are you so desperate? There are plenty of good looking guys at this school who would wish to go out with you. Why do you want that arrogant
후배?" I shook my head and leaned back in my chair.

"Ever since I saw Guanlin, I knew he would be the one for me. He may not look like it but he is really sweet. Besides, what's the point in dating those types guys if all they are about is looks?"

Jawahir sighed as she played with her phone. "Just stop thinking about boys, okay? We're going to be high school seniors next year while Guanlin is going to be a sophomore. Focus on your grades so you can get into a good university. Just thinking about boys isn't going to help you with that."

I nodded as our homeroom teacher came in. We all stood up and bowed before sitting back down. The teacher began the lessons as everyone started to pay attention. I just eyed the clock, waiting for the end of the day to come by.

With only a few minutes to spare until the final bell, our teacher interrupted the class with some news about exams.

After his announcements, the final bell rang. I quickly put my things away and left the class. I run down the stairs and see the freshman start to flood out of their classes. I head to the freshman shoe lockers and try to find Guanlin's. Once I found it, I quickly put an inspirational note and his favourite strawberry yogurt.

I left before anyone could see me, but like everyday, I was able to catch a glimpse of Guanlin taking my small presents out of his locker. Sadly, I never saw if he kept them or not.

The next day, I dragged myself into class and saw Jawahir already at her desk on her phone. I sat down in mine and layed my head down on my desk to rest when I heard Jawahir's voice.

"Let me guess. You ran out of class again to put your daily present in that freshman's locker even after I gave you that lecture yesterday." I nervously laughed as I watched Jawahir eye me. Before I could come up with an excuse, our teacher walked in and class began.

Though I studied diligently everyday for the exams that were coming up, I still was able to leave Guanlin notes and his favourite foods and drinks in his locker.

The week of hell came and went. All the hard work students went through was to be shown in these exams. After the final exam, Jawahir and I walked out of school with big smiles on our face.

"We did it Amai! We're seniors in high school! Now we should celebrate. What do you want to eat? I'll pay!" As we were walking towards the school gate, I saw Guanlin walking alone with his headphones on. I told Jawahir to wait as I ran up behind him and tapped his shoulder.

He turned around and looked at me with a cold stare. I just continued to smile. "I haven't seen you in a while. How did you do on exams?"

Guanlin just shrugged his shoulders as he glanced around. I came to the conclusion that he was looking for someone and got the message. "Well, I' sure you did well. I hope to see you again next year, Lai Guanlin."

I felt my heart break a little as I walked away from him back to Jawahir. As the two of us were on our way to a cafe to finally destress, I couldn't stop thinking about Guanlin.

'Why are you so cold to me but you can smile at everyone else with such a bright smile?'

◈ ────────── ◈

I really hope you guys like my writing style. Every time I read my work, I just have to cringe.