The Stupidity Of The American Language

Start from the beginning

She dialed his number, waiting for him to pick up. When he finally did, guilt washed over her when he sniffed loudly, smothered in sleep.

"Hullo?"

"Hi, babe." Sienna said softly, wringing her hands slightly as she used her shoulder to press her phone to her ear. "Did I wake you up?"

"Ah...no, you didn't wake me," Noah lied innocently, "I've been up for hours...who is it?" (Do you guys know the reference this is from? You better!)

"It's Sienna." Sienna snickered, running her hand through her hair. "Do you want me to call you back, sweetie?"

"Huh? Oh, hey, babe...nah. You-you don't have to-have to do that." Noah grunted, obviously still half asleep. "How are you?"

"Noah, baby, call me back, okay?" Sienna laughed, wrinkling her nose. Noah cleared his throat again and laughed weakly.

"Alright, alright. I'll call you when I'm awake."

"Okay. Bye Noah." Sienna called.

"Bye, cutie." Noah cooed and Sienna blushed, hanging up. She bit her lip and eyed her phone, drawing her knees up to her chest. Then she jumped when her phone buzzed, shocking her out of this weird state of happiness.

"Hello?" She asked, curious at why Shay would call her.

"Hey!" his excited voice caused her to laugh, rolling her eyes at his enthusiasm. Although Sienna was tired, she couldn't help but feel uplifted when she heard his familiar voice. "So, you never told me about what happened with Noah."

Sienna felt her stomach twist a little at her boyfriend's name and she giggled. "Noah's fine. He's gonna be living with his brother now. For the rest of his life."

Shay cheered, leaving Sienna to laugh, shaking her head slightly. "Yes! I knew it!" Shay squealed, sounding a little breathless. "That's great kiddo!"

"Yeah!" Sienna replied, feeling herself beam proudly. "I uh, I miss being able to see you."

"I miss seeing you too, kiddo." Shay replied, sounding a little put out. "But hey, we can always talk on the phone, or via Skype. Maybe one day, your father and I will actually get along for real. Then I'd get to see you whenever I'd damn want to."

Sienna grinned. "I'd like that, Sh-" The suite's door opened and Austin walked out, his eyes instantly landing on her as she peered back, her whole willpower trying to desperately hide her nervousness, "Sh-shit-face!" She babbled, her sentence coming out like one would spit out water.

"Hey," Shay sounded a little confused, but he lightheartedly pretended to be offended, name calling isn't nice, Sienna."

"Hi, Austin." She said, emphasizing her father's name for Shay's sake.

"Oh, I get it." Shayley laughed, blowing air into the phone. "I'll call you later, 'shit-face'."

"Whatever." Sienna mumbled. "Bye."

"Bye." Shay hung up the phone and Sienna immediately shoved her phone into her pocket, smiling innocently up at Austin.

"Hi." She said, licking her dry lips. Austin gave her a curious look.

"Who were you calling 'Shit-Face'?" He laughed, crossing his arms over his chest, leaning against the wall.

"No one," Sienna responded cooly, standing up, "how's your hangover headache?"

"Actually, to be honest, not that bad." Austin snickered. "How was your night last night?"

"Actually, to be honest, not that bad." She mocked, thankful that her father didn't press the question about who she was tailing to on the phone earlier. She was thankful for that.