Chapter 80

Chapter 80: Last one?

After having an amazing Christmas with lots of carols having been sung, lots of presents being unwrapped and lots of smiles seen on everyone's face, Robards asked me to come into work and get a few things done before the start of the new year.

I'm not too happy about going into work when it's actually my holiday but Robards promised that with the new project, I would be able to work at home more.

He said that this will be the last part of the process of becoming Head Auror so I'll just have to do what he tells me to until I'm ready. I don't really mind as I can see that Robards is getting older and he seems to want to retire as soon as possible. It's something he's also told me so it wasn't that hard to guess. I feel a little bit sorry for him as I know he just wants to be at home with his wife and enjoying the peace but instead he goes to work everyday just to help me achieve what I need to take his place.

"Good luck," Ginny smiles and gives me a kiss before I leave.

"Thank you. You too by the way. Are you sure you can manage three kids while one of them is sick and the other one cranky?" I ask her.

"I hope so," Ginny smiles,"and if not, I'll ask Mum or Hermione to come help. Don't worry I'll be fine."

"I'll see you later, I'll try not to be too late," I give my wife one last hug before fastening my cloak around my neck.

"And even if you are, I know you'll have a good reason," Ginny takes my hand and gives it a squeeze.

"I love you," I smile and she lets my hand go.

"I love you too, now go before you're fired before you can even start your new position as Head Auror," Ginny jokes before picking Al up from the floor where he is learning to sit without falling.

"Well, let's not let that happen," I smile before I head out.

After Apparating once past the borders put up around the house, it takes me exactly four and a half minutes to get to my office. It also makes me two minutes late but as far as I know, there's barely anyone who could have noticed.

"So, Auror Potter, two minutes late, were we?" Robards comes strolling into my office a few minutes later.

I guess I take back what I thought before.

"I'm sorry Sir, I have a sick son and a cranky son so not everything went as usual this morning," I apologise.

"Quite understandable. As it's officially your holidays I'll let you off for this once but don't be late next time," Robards nods and hands me a big file.

"It won't happen again," I say and take the file.

"May I take a seat?" Robards asks, looking around.

"Of course," I say quickly while pulling up a chair.

"So, as I explained to you before, it may take a while for you to finish and solve this case. However, what I didn't tell you yet, is that I will be observing you and the way you work. Of course it won't be constantly because I already told you that you'll be able to work more from home. If you work hard enough and I see outstanding progress, I may make the decision to upgrade you to Head Auror earlier than expected," Robards says after he sits down.

After explaining a little bit about the case, he tells me that I have the whole Ministry to my disposal for if I need anything to help me with the case.

It takes lots of pieces of parchment, two cups of tea, a few frustrated noises and a walk through the building to clear my head before I have the given information laid out in a way that's easy to understand and to work with. I must say, at first, I didn't really know how to begin but I managed to calm myself down with the thought that Robards has given me months, until the end of May, to solve the case and that it would be more than a miracle if I were to understand it all in a day. That thought reminded me of what Remus said the first time after I tried to produce a Patronus which also reminded me that I have to take Teddy to see his parents again once he's better.