Not so accidental

En başından başla

I thought once I took off the gown everything would die down but boy was I wrong.

People still yelled my name and Diane tried to introduce me to more people. She gushed about how she had discovered me.
It's when she started talking about an after party that I decided enough was enough.

I 'suddenly' got a very severe migraine and excused myself from the room altogether. I made a pittstop to the back room and quickly grabbed my bag. I thought exiting through the back door was a good escape plan.

As I made my way round the curved hallway, I heard women's voices and immediately froze when I heard a familiar voice snap.

"Where in the world is Miranda?"

Another voice joined in. "She's already getting drunk with Diane."

"Goodness." The first one scoffed. "Please tell me someone is there to keep her in check and prevent her from making a fool out of us all."

"Santiago stayed behind." The second lady offered.

The first sighed.

"Well at least that went pretty well." Mrs Callahan's voice echoed through. "The girl might be an attention hog but she sure does make for good publicity. It almost makes me feel bad that Jason has to let her go."

The unmistakable voice of Farah joined in. "Tell me about it. She's not even that pretty."

"Now, now, Farah, lets not be petty. She's gorgeous. It's probably the only reason Jason chose her in the first place. But I strongly suspect she has a brain in that pretty little head of hers. How else would she use my son to climb up the social ladder this quickly and successfully?"

"Another of the million reasons she needs to go." Farah added. "But if she's as smart as you think she is. Do you think that she might know something she's not supposed to?" Farah asked.

Mrs Callahan let out a laugh.

"I don't think she's that smart."

I felt a surge of anger and the strong impulse to prove her wrong at that point but even I wasn't that stupid. If I had learned anything, it's that the women around here can beat the men at their own game any day of the week.

"But I'll have someone follow her. I don't trust the little wench... there's something about her. And if she does know anything, we can't have her opening her mouth to anyone after Jason breaks up with her."

"He hasn't done it already?" Farah asked. She seemed too impatient. As if Jason dumping me was something she was tired of waiting for all her life.

"Who knows with Jason? He seems particularly rebellious when it comes to her. But I'll make sure he does. The sooner he lets go of her, the sooner we can wed him to Isabella and maybe she can give me my first grandchild."

I heard Farah sigh. "I told you I'm working on it, Elizabeth. It's just that, Anthony... He doesn't seem the least bit interested anymore."

Mrs Callahan scoffed. "Oh please. I'm yet to meet a Callahan man who can say no to sex. You just need to try harder... persuade him for goodness sake."

I heard Farah mumble a 'yes'.

I shouldn't have been eavesdropping on matters that didn't involve me. I was about to turn and walk away when I heard a familiar name leave Farah's lips.

"Harry called again."

"Tell him his uncle hasn't changed his mind." Mrs Callahan responded impatiently.

"I don't know why he's so desperate to come back all of a sudden." Farah spoke. "Getting shipped off to Paris seems like a luxury vacation if you ask me."