"Hey Max, how are you doing?" I asked.

The adorable little boy beamed at me. "I'm fine," he spoke enthusiastically. He then looked at his older brother and frowned before turning back to me. "But I thought I was going to be your next boyfriend after-"

"That's enough from you, buddy." Jason spoke with a chuckle as he placed his hand over Max's mouth, muffling what he was going to say next.

Someone cleared their throat and I turned to see Mrs Callahan giving her oldest son a pointed look with those clear blue eyes.

"Jason, let the boy speak. Honey, you know Jason's girlfriend?" Mrs Callahan spoke.

Max successfully pushed his brother's hand away from his face.

My heart beat faster and I saw Isabella lean forward fearing what he would say too.

"Yes!" Max exclaimed proudly. "She baked me cookies at Tony's house and then we're going to get married... well we're going to get married one day... she didn't say yes be-because... because she's dating... Jason."

I almost let out a sigh of relief but controlled myself.

Mrs Callahan gave her youngest son a sharp look. "Max, what did I tell you about stammering?" She scolded.

"Sorry mum." He spoke with his head low.

"Mother." Mrs Callahan corrected him.

"Mother." Max repeated, still looking ashamed.

I wanted to say something to defend him but even I knew that that wouldn't be wise.

"You can go back to watching your little show." She told him.

Max nodded before walking away quietly.

My eyes followed him in sympathy. I hated seeing children sad.

"Aren't you going to introduce us to your girlfriend, Jason?" Miranda, Alex's mother spoke.

She had much warmer hazel eyes than Mrs Callahan's cold blue ones.

Jason placed his arm around my waist and led me forward to the women's table.

All women studied me from head to toe. I felt like I was being judged for a beauty pageant but I still managed to keep up a small smile.

"Mother, ladies, this is Katelyn King. My girlfriend." Jason spoke.

I gave them all a smile, making sure to focus on Isabella's face which was familiar and encouraging.

"And Katelyn, this is my mother Elizabeth, Senator Humphrey's wife, Mary, my aunt Miranda, my sister in law, Farah and you know Isabella." He spoke as he gestured to all of them individually.

"It's a pleasure meeting all of you." I told all of them. I felt like bowing or something because seeing all these beautiful, wealthy and powerful women really made me feel like I was meeting queens.

Mrs Callahan's lips were a straight line.

"So you're a model, yes?" She asked. I nodded.

"What? You can't speak?" Mrs Callahan snapped.

I suddenly understood how Max had felt.
I cleared my throat. "Yes. Yes I am ma'am." I corrected myself trying to sound confident.

One little slip like this could ruin everything.

"Oh really?" Miranda Callahan spoke. "We're actually hosting the next Diane Coleson fashion show right here at the Dynasty hotel and she is actually looking for fresh faced models. I could put in a good word for you if you're up for it."