Youth of the Night (Chapter 19)

19.

Hey everyone!!!!!! I don't have much to say, so please enjoy! And don't forget to VOTE VOTE VOTE and comment. This story reached #37 on the What's Hot list the other day, I believe it can get higher. So if you forgot to vote please help me out and go back and vote!!!!! Thanks ya'll

Stacy

________________________________________________________

Darkness surrounded him, Rhys hoped his eyes would adjust to the lack of light but they didn't. There was no light at all. He tried to open his mouth to call out, but every part of him felt numb. Becoming desperate he begged his body to react, to raise his arm, or his hand. Hell at this moment even a twitch of his finger would suffice. Nothing was responding. Rhys could feel his heart rate picking up at his distress, at least that was still working. He knew he was still alive, at least. As he listened to his heart beat at a stead pace thought he heard another voice, far away but he could hear something. Rhys yearned to call out, with his mouth unmoving that would be impossible. He struggled to focus in on the voice, as they became a bit louder he could tell it was more than one voice.

"He's in shock, Ali."

"But he'll wake up, right?" Ali! Ali was near. He wanted to reach to her, to tell her everything was fine. Rhys could hear the pain in her voice.

"Yes, sweetie. But they don't know when. There isn't an exact time frame to go. The doctor said he'll wake up when he's ready." Ready? Rhys was ready now, then why couldn't he wake up, why couldn't he force his body to respond to his demands. "I'll be back in a bit, Ali. I'm going to go call your mother."

"Please wake up, Rhys. I need you! I don't think I can handle this alone." Her sweet voice broke, Rhys could picture tears slowly slipping down her ivory cheeks. Suddenly her voice grew louder, closer almost, "Rhys, WAKE UP!"

'Ali?' Rhys reached out mentally.

No answer.

Not even his mind was working right, now. He was trapped in his own body, and didn't know how to get out.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Ali remained by Rhys throughout the night. She slept in an uncomfortable chair, clutching to his hand for dear life. Every moment she woke up she would talk to him, begging him to wake up. That she needed him. Life had taken a horrible turn for her. She finally felt safe with his father no longer an issue, that they could finally live life like they should. But now they were here, stuck in a hospital, with Rhys unresponsive.

Suddenly a soft rap on the door jarred Ali fully awake. "Come in."

"Yes, miss, I was wondering if you'd like a roll away bed brought in for yourself? No reason to sleep in those horrible chairs." A young nurse asked kindly.

"Yes, please." Ali tried to smile, but she was sure it looked more like a grimace. The nurse simply nodded and closed the door softly behind her. She returned less than five minutes later with a bed. She helped make it up for her leaving her with a couple pillows and blankets. "Thank you." Ali spoke quietly.

"No problem, ma'am. I hope you get some good sleep." With that the nurse departed out the door, again closing it quietly behind her. Ali looked up at the clock, it was almost three in the morning. Pulling herself from the chair she leaned over Rhys' body kissing his lips softly.

"I love you, Rhys. When your better please come back to me." She whispered softly in his ear. After waiting to see if he responded, Ali trudged toward the small bed plopping down heavily on it. Sleep over came her quickly, pulling her down more deeply than before.