Youth of the Night (Chapter 8)

8

Connor remained in the house with Rhys while Kalee ran after her daughter, following her same movement, only shift once she was safely hidden in the tree line. Once she had shifted she more easily picked up Ali's scent heading straight for the clearing. It only took Kalee a few seconds to reach the opening to the clearing, where she stood remaining in the shadows. Ali was pacing in a circle, whining as if she was hurt, and Kalee knew she was maybe not physically but mentally she was torn. She had just felt the familiar feeling of having your heart broken.

"Ali." Kalee called to her mind to mind.

"Mom." She whined as she spoke, Ali turned to look at her mother's wolf form slowly walking toward her. Even as a wolf she favored her mother more than anyone else. "I didn't know that would happen."

"Honey, how could you?" Kalee moved in front of Ali, lifting Ali's head with her snout. "He's just hurting and worried for his mother, there is no way he meant it. People usually lash out when they are in pain, for it easier to point the blame at someone else then to blame the person who actually caused the pain."

"I just said sorry," Ali's voice cracked as she slumped to the ground whining painfully.

"I know. Come on, you can stay over at Uncle Jake's if you'd like." Kalee crouched down beside her to meet Ali's gaze.

"No." Ali looked away quickly. "I'm going to grandpa's, I don't want to be near here or him."

"Allison! Your going to miss your brother and sister shifting possibly? Ashling will never forgive you!"

"I'll come back before sun down." Ali huffed. "I don't want to miss this for them. I know how important it is, especially for Ashling." Ali loved her sister, she knew she hadn't always treated her like she should of, but she really wanted to make that better between them before it went to far.

"Good. If you have to just ignore him and stay on the opposite side of the clearing from him." Ali just bobbed her head looking out at the center of the clearing where just hours earlier she was laying there happily with Rhys by her side. She tried picturing life going back to the way it was hours earlier but she couldn't conjure up the thought anymore, everything inside of her felt to grow numb and lifeless. "I'll be right back, I'll bring you some clothes and your car keys." With that Kalee trotted back to the shadows leaving Ali there to think to herself. She kept replaying the look of pain, horror, and anger that she last saw on Rhys' face, how would he ever forgive her? Could she forgive him for acting that way to her? With every question she asked herself things grew more and more grim for her, she knew deep down she'd never have him back, it would take a miracle to right this wrong.

Ali's attention was turned to the rustling at the tree line, suddenly Kalee busted threw the shadows in human form carrying clothes in arms, Ali quickly began to shift back when her mother was close again.

"Here," Kalee handed her a pair of sweat pants and t-shirt, "Your dad has called Alpha and informed him you will be showing up there shortly. When you get there you call and let me know you got there safely, plus you need to explain to Ash that you'll be back in time for shifting!"

"I will." Ali responded softly as she slipped the warm clothes on. Kalee walked silently behind her daughter as they slipped back into the darkness. Ali jumped in to her car, igniting the engine to life causing it to roar loudly. Like always as soon as the tires hit the pavement she was taking off causing the tires to whine loudly.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Father, Catherine has left. She left a note stating that she was going back to him, and she wouldn't give away Rhys' location. But we don't know what will happen if he decides to torture her to get whatever information he needs before killing her. And to top matters off Allison is on her way over to your house, she has or had, so I should say, feeling for Rhys, who yelled at her after finding his mother missing. She said she won't come home right now, she wanted to be other there with you. Do you mind?"