Eighty six: Dead?

Grasping the steering wheel tightly did I find a smile tugging on my lips as Daryl kept falling asleep

Grasping the steering wheel tightly did I find a smile tugging on my lips as Daryl kept falling asleep. He would close his eyes, bow his head but then jolt himself awake, and I couldn't help but find it funny.

Naturally when he saw me smirk did he turn to face me, arching his brow as he did so.

"Somethin' funny?"

"Yeah, you asshole." I snorted. "Glad I insisted on driving. You would have fallen asleep and crashed the whole damn car."

"Shut up."

"Oh, you know I love you."

I found myself chuckling as he let out a grunt and propped his elbow up by the window.

The weather was pretty good, I mean don't get me wrong it was boiling and my pores were burning under the sun but the breeze made it bearable. So all in all, it was pretty good.

Watching the world pass by as I gripped the steering wheel tighter just waiting until the hilltop came into view did I briefly turn to face my redneck who was just staring out the window.

"I can feel yer starin' at me."

"Well ain't you lucky?"

"Debatable."

"Screw you Dixon."

Shaking my head did I avert my gaze back to the road, but I felt my heart stop when I heard the familiar screams of woman.

I slammed my foot on the break, causing both me and Daryl to catapult forward as I did so but before he could even protest I had slammed the car door shut behind me as I legged it towards the source of the sound.

It was someone I knew and they needed help, and so I ran as fast as my legs could carry me, adrenaline pumping through my veins as I held my hunting knife in my hand and heard Daryl snapping twigs behind me as he tried to keep up.

Hearing the scream again did I bolt forward, the wind pushing my hair back, my breathing becoming heavy as I approached the scene to see a familiar blonde trying to take on three different walkers.

God damn it Avery.

Sighing did I thrust my hunting knife into the skull off a growling Walker that was closest to Avery who was searching desperately for her knife. I watched as blood stained the crispy leaves on the floor crimson as blood trickled down from the walkers wound.

Retrieving my knife and pulling out another dagger did I raise both my hands up and simultaneously stab each walkers decaying brain that had tried to reach Avery.