(CHAPTER EIGHT)

CHAPTER EIGHT

( Skeletons in the closet )

     THE ROOM WAS SILENT FOR A WHILE

Her father was looking at her in bewilderment—after all these years that they'd been apart, his daughter was here, standing in front of him as if it was only yesterday that she'd seen him last. He was sure that both of his children were dead by now, he was sure that they'd have been killed off a long time ago—now here his daughter was, holding a knife to somebody's throat and threatening him. How could it be?

"Well I'll be damned." He said, looking at her.

He slowly lowered his bloody machete and took a few steps away from Glenn as if to get a closer look at his daughter—it'd been years since he'd saw her last and she wasn't a child anymore. She'd grown up. And for the past several years that he'd been on his own, he didn't think he'd ever get to see any of his kids grow up into adulthood.

"It's really you." He said with wide eyes. "You really made it huh?"

Ophelia nodded. She didn't know what to say. After everything that had happened.

Antony pursed his lips for a moment, as he scanned his daughters face—she'd much changed from the scrubby, big teethed girl that used to run around the garden playing cowboys and Indians, that he'd known for many years.

"You've changed." He said. "You look—you look like your mother."

Ophelia half laughed. "Well...it's been twenty years."

"Twenty years, is that right?" He said, scratching the back of his head. "Time flies by when you drink your sh-tty life away, huh? Twenty years...my my...it feels like just yesterday you were packing up your bags and leaving your dear old dad in the lurch, ay?"

"We didn't have a choice."

"No note. No trace of you. Nothing. I woke up one morning and both of my kids were gone. Vanished into thin air." He shook his head, laughing. "I had your school phoning me, your friends, everybody on my back 'bout you and your brother. And I couldn't tell them jack sh-t. One day you were there. And then the next you weren't."

"We didn't have a choice." She repeated.

"There is always a choice."

"The only other option was to stay with you." She said, arching a brow. "And we couldn't do that."

"I guess not. When your mother died, I died with her. It's true." He hummed. "But—who's really to blame for how things worked out, huh? She wasn't meant to be out that morning. But she was. And why was that, huh?"