(CHAPTER FIVE)

CHAPTER FIVE

( Brother )

     BETH WAS GONE

     BETH WAS GONE. Just gone. Daryl didn't know where. But, she wasn't here anymore. A car had snatched her from him, and now Daryl didn't have anybody from the prison—he didn't know where Ophelia was, or Rick, and he didn't know if he ever would. They could've been halfway across Georgia for all he knew.

      Daryl had never felt so lonely as he did now. This—this whole situation was why he'd stayed away from everybody at the beginning of this whole thing, because he knew something bad like this was going to happen. Daryl never got happy endings; something always had to go wrong. And now, as he'd started to settle in with everybody at the prison, the governor destroyed it, and now he was alone. Or he may well have been.

     He was trailing behind a biker gang of sorts. He didn't mean to join them. But, they saw him alone, and decided to bring Daryl with them. Needless to say, Daryl would rather be alone—these biker people that he'd stumbled across, they weren't friendly, and they weren't the people back at the prison.

      It was nighttime now and the biker gang had surrounded a group of people. Daryl didn't know who they were. He didn't care. He just wanted to leave. He wanted to find his way back to the people that he loved. This biker gang? They weren't a family. They were cruel.

    "Nine Mississippi...eight Mississippi—"  said Joe—the leader of the group—as he stood over the group of people that they'd come across.

      Daryl was hovering at the back, trying to see if he could run off, when he looked over at the small group of people that Joe was harassing.

      Daryl widened his eyes—it wasn't just anybody—it was Rick and Michonne. They were knelt down on the floor surrounded by the biker gang. He couldn't see Carl or Judith. But, he knew they if they were here as well, they'd be hiding somewhere.

     "Hold up!" Daryl said, running over to Joe.

     Joe sighed. "You're stopping me on eight, Daryl."

     "Just hold up."

     "This is the guy that killed Lou, so we got nothing to talk about." Joe shrugged.

      "The thing is 'bout nowadays is we got nothin' but time." Daryl told him, urging Joe to listen.

      "Say your peace Daryl." Joe said after a moment.

     "These people, you're gonna let 'em go. These are good people." Daryl insisted—he could feel Rick's stare burning into the back of his head.