James x reader

The darkness overhead was enough to alert the muggles of godrics hollow the something utterly terrible had happened this Halloween. Not only the unearthly eerie screams from the Potters home, but the sudden destruction of their home.

Y/n ran into the house, heart beating in her chest as James body lay unmoving in front of her, no wand. Choking on sobs, she took small staggering steps before falling onto her knees beside him. "James?" She whispered, tears sliding down her cheeks.
A wand was suddenly pressed to her neck.

"Where is she?" Severus seethed.

"Upstairs." Her voice was hollow, eyes trained on James, his glasses laid beside him, his eyes wide and alert, but a calm expression across the rest of his features. Snape brushed past her, throwing himself up the stairs, searching for Lily. Harrys screams echoed the home, but Y/n couldn't bring herself to stand and leave James' body. "Please wake up." She leaned closer, her hand shakingly clasped his shoulder. "James?" She rocked his body, it moved limply. "No. Stop, if this is a prank- please James." Her shaking became desperate as she tried to wake him up from his never ending darkness. "You can't leave me."  She cried.

"Y/n." Sirius' voice was soft, staring over her shoulder at his best friend.

"He's going to wake up! He'll wake up!" She cried, not looking back at Sirius. His own face was contorted in pain, his eyes red linning with the silver tears threatening to spill.

"Y/n-"

"Go get Harry." She wiped her eyes, but new tears replaced them. Sirius reluctantly left his two friends to get Harry. "Wake up!" She screamed finally rolling James' body over. Cupping his face, she pulled his head into her lap. "James." She cried.

Sirius came back down the stairs. "Y/n we need to go." Sirius tried to reason.

"No." She shot back, stroking James cheek. Sirius bit his lip, tears running down his face as he tried to drag her away, his hand clasped roughly around her upper arm. "No!" She screamed, clawing at the hand that held her.

"Please Y/n." He cried, his grip still on her as she thrashed.

"I LOVE HIM!" Her face red as she glared up at him, causing him to let her go and take a step back, Harry not in his arms. "I loved him and now he's dead." She turned back to James' dead body.

"He loves you too, just not in the way you wanted him too." Sirius crouched down, placing a hand on her back.

"I never got to tell him." She sobbed leaning into Sirius, letting him wrap an arm around her.

"He knew, he always knew." He comforted her, rubbing her back reassuringly. "I need to go." Sirius rose, walking out the door quickly as wizards for the ministry arrived, Sirius long gone. Peter Pettigrews' name was cursed by many wizards that night.

12 years later

Starring up at her was James Potter, although his eyes were like Lilys'. Harry snapped his head in the direction of the three adults. Sirius is rags, his face ghostly white from twelve years of pain, terror and neglect. Remus had let go, messy hair, untamed mustache and scars ridding his skin. Y/n had left her room in a rush, not finished marking her students work, ink littered her hands, her eyes staring at Harry with plead.

"I trusted you! I defended you!" Hermione fumed from behind him. "All along you were working with him." She spat. "I know you're an animagus, and you're a werewolf."

"How long have you known?" Remus asked, tilting his head to the side.

"Ever since Professor Snape took our class, he mentioned how-how illegal animagus were still left uncheked in the school- and assisting a werewolf." Hermione gulped, Sirius eyeing her.

"She's so smart- smart like Lily." He was mumbling crazily to himself.

"When I get my hands on Snivilus-" Remus cut Y/n off with a warning glance.
Severus appeared, a wand poking into Y/n neck, like it had twelve years ago at Godrics Hollow. "I thought we had an understanding, you and me." Y/n smirked over her shoulder at Severus. Severus lowered his wand know not only had he loved Lily, but she had loved James.

"Professor!" Hermione gasped. Severus instead held his wand up to the older boys. Threatening them before Harry had the wand Sirius had been holding and shot Severus back.
"Harry! You just attacked a teacher." Then he held the wand up to the three remaining adults.

"What did you mean-when you told Snape you had an understanding." Harry demanded, his wand trained on his professor Y/n. She hadn't stuck out in the years of teaching, not the best teacher but definitely not the worst. Harry had looked up to her when she had comforted him in his first year, cleaning his glasses when he tripped in second year.

"He and I both loved something we would never have." She said softly.

"Professor Snape... he-he loved Harrys mum... and you loved Harrys dad?" Hermione worked out, stepping closer to Harry.

"Yes." She stared at the three teens. "And the person who took them away from us is right there." She pointed at Ronald, his rat.

"M-Me?" Ronald stuttered.

"Honestly Mr Weasley, don't be so blunt." Y/n snorted, eyes rolling, it was getting harder and harder to keep her anger in check as she watched Pettigrew squirm in Ronalds hands.

"The rat! The rat!" Sirius spat. "It's missing a toe!-" Y/n stared sadly at her friend, how the years had effected them all.

"Harry- Please." Remus frowned, his face pleading.

"He's pulling out the puppy face. No one can refuse the puppy face." Sirius cackled softly to himself, tugging on his hair.

Harry took the rat from Ronald and handed it over to his professor Y/n. Y/n squeezed the rat in her hands, she had waited a long time for this.

"No! Let me do it!" Sirius snatched Pettigrew from her, putting the filthy rat on a dusty grand piano.

"Sirius- wait!" Remus pulled his wand out, all three adults with wands.

"Together." Y/n looked between the two with tears in her eyes.

"together." They fired the spell until they hit Peter.

"You're dead you piece of-" Y/n was cut off by Peters hoarse voice.

"Y/n, Y/n it's me!" He begged. "Calm down please, let me-" a swift kick to the fave and he was unconscious as another kick was shot into his stomach before both Sirius and Remus dragged the raging woman off their old, traitorous friend.

They brought Pettigrews limp body out of their old hide away, no one knew but Y/n had placed a few body locks and charms onto Pettigrew if the rat even thought of getting away.

Sirius stared off into the sky, eyes dancing with hope. Y/n was headstrong, he would be freed and Pettigrew will pay for what he has done.

"Professor Y/n?" Harrys' voice was soft and reluctant. Y/n turned, entire focus on Harry. "Was what Hermione said true, did you really love my father?"

"Yes." She bowed her head in shame. Here he was, James and Lilys' son, not hers, and she was telling him she had and still does fancy his dad. "I really did love your father Harry." She stared into his eyes, Lilys' eyes, and felt herself smile.