Neville x reader

Third person POV

Y/n followed after Neville unknown to him of course. Y/n and Neville had herbology together, Y/n would sit in the middle of the class, close to the door for an easy escape. Y/n was pretty, popular and had excellent grades, freaking Hermione Granger out into studying harder, although they are great friends.
Y/n had a crush on Neville since she found his frog, Trever, on the Hogwarts express, only for him to drop it when he saw her smiling. Now in fourth year, she was determined to ask him to the Yule ball, they were only told about it a few minutes ago but Y/n wants to get Neville before anyone else.

"Neville!" She called, he stopped as Y/n caught up.

"Hey. Y-Y/n." He blushed.

"Hey Neville. Can I walk with you?" She asked. Neville nodded, smiling. They began to walk towards the black lake, under a tree that Neville always go to. "Can I watch?"

"Sure Im just inspecting the algae growing in the bank." He said. Y/n nodded excitedly. She sat down and watched Neville roll up his pants and sleeves before stepping into the lake. "Unbelievable." He whispered to himself, looking at the jar he'd collected.

"What is it?" She asked excitedly, removing her shoes to join Neville in the black lake. She waddled in, taking the jar carefully from Neville.

"hold it to the light." He said, standing begind her, wrapping his arms around her ans lifting her arms, looking over her shoulder.

"The algae is changing colour!" She said excitedly. "Do you think its from of the animals living in the lake?" She asked, turning and facing Neville, who was blushing and staring at her.

"Yes, I mean there is a magical version of a Barreleye that is transparent but changes colour-." Neville began.

"Its silvia glands also produce this kind of, what is it? Mucus. Its mucus siliva thing passes its colour changing properties on. Do you thinks thats what it is?" She asked.

"Yes! Look!" He pointed towards a Barryeleleye swimming in the lake near their feat.
"Its neon pink."

"Amazing." Y/n said excitedly. Although this was fun, she knew she couldn't work up the courage to ask Neville out, at the moment.

They spent a few hours looking through the water and conversing over herbology and charms.

"Y/n." (Someone you dont like(opposite gender or nah)) called out to followed by their pose. They hung out with Y/n a few times because they thought she was pretty. "Don't tell me your hanging out with Longbottom." They sneered.
Neville frowned and lowered his head.

"Fine, I wont tell you." She shrugged sarcastically, going back to collecting a water root.
Neville smiled gratefully at her.

"But he's a nerd, he plays around with... weed." Y/h (you hate) tried to reason.

"No thats you. And whats wrong with being interested in the anatomy of plants? And herbs..." Y/n crossed her arms.

"Its stupid." One of the guys shot back.

"Quite the opposite actually. Now please go away." Neville said.

"Standing up for your girlfriend aye." They teased. Y/n rolled her eyes, Neville blushed.

"Yes." He said. Y/n smiled at the ground, then saw a snail that releases a large amount of sludge and goo when scared. Picking the snail up gentley, Y/n threw it at the group of boys who were immediately covered in a yucky substance. The screamed in surprise before running back towards the castel.
"That was brilliant!" Neville complimented. Y/n blushed.

"Really?" She smiled.

"Absolutely." Neville smiled. What Y/n did next was a sort of heat of the moment thing.

"Hey Neville, can I ask you something?" She asked.

"Sure." He smiled.

"Would you... never mind." Y/n shook her head. Maybe not so heat of the moment.

"Oh... alright." Neville nodded. He turned around as he spotted something.
Y/n looked around before having a great idea, the greatest of them all.

Getting her wand, she muttered a few spells and moved the Algae sitting on the waters surface around, to form a sentence... a question.
Putting away her wand she smiled.

"Hey Neville, come check this out." She said blushing. Neville walked over and looked down. There in algae form was a question.

Will you go to the Yule ball with me?

Neville blushed.

"Y-You w-want to go w-ith me?" He asked.

"Yes. Neville I do." She smiled. "Truth is, I kinda have always kinda had a crush on you... and I was wondering if you'd go to the Yule ball with me?"

"Yes!" Neville smiled wrapping his arms around her waist, their lips instantly attached.

"Hey Neville- oh my Godric." Harry covered his eyes, backing away, the two pullef away blushing. "No, don't stop on my accord I was just leaving." He turned and ran away. Neville and Y/n giggled, then held hands.
Walking back onto the bank they pulled their shoes and socks on after drying their feet and headed back to the castle smiling.