A Bell at Christmas

Anderson Berry brought the patrol car to a halt and walked towards the house, looking a little apprehensive as he did so. He raised his hand to knock upon the door, but before he could do so it opened, leaving his hand hanging in the air for a moment.

"Anderson? I did not expect to see you today. Shouldn't you be with your family?"

"There'll be time for that later, sir. Duty calls."

"I gave you the whole of the day off."

"I know, sir. But it's okay. I don't mind one little bit. This is my town, these are my people, and I will always serve them whenever I can. This is far more than a mere job to me, sir. You know that."

"Yes, I do. That's what makes you my best officer. Why are you here? Please tell me something dreadful hasn't happened, today of all days."

"No sir. Nothing dreadful. But there is something that I need your help with."

"Alright. What is it?"

"I need you to come with me sir. Immediately. It's important. I'll explain on the way."

"How very mysterious. I must say that you have piqued my curiosity."

"Does that mean you'll come with me?"

"Hmmmm. I did have quite the day planned for myself. A little reading of a novel that I've got my teeth into. Watch some television. Maybe partake in a snooze on the couch. When the cat's away, the mice will play. Or I could be led away from my cosy little sanctuary and get involved with who knows what. Decisions, decisions. Maybe I should toss a coin."

Ed produced a silver dollar from the pocket of his pants. "Heads, I come with you. Tails, I remain here and let you handle things."

The sheriff expertly flicked the silver dollar into the air and slapped his right hand hard down upon it as the coin landed on the back of his left hand. He slowly peeled the covering hand away, revealing the gleaming head underneath.

"Well, what do you know? Heads it is. I get to join you on your intriguing adventure."

"If it had been tails, you really would have stayed here? I find that very hard to believe, sir."

"Yes. Had the coin landed upon tails I would most certainly have remained here. But it didn't, did it? You may well know me somewhat by now, Anderson, but you have much, much more to learn about me."

"I don't doubt that for a second, sir. You have to be the strangest, most enigmatic, and...remarkable person that I have ever met."

"If that is the case, then you really should broaden your horizons, Anderson. This world is full of mysteries and wonders...if you know where to look for them. So let's go look, shall we? Lead the way, Deputy."

"Yes sir."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Our first Christmas together! This is so awesome!" Chloe exclaimed, tightly hugging the smaller girl. "Mom, can Max sleep over tonight? I never want this day to end. This has been just the best Christmas ever!"

"I don't know, Chloe. Max's parents may want some time with their daughter. She has been here since this morning, Princess." Joyce replied.

"I know, but..."

Max's small voice made itself heard. "I wanna 'leep here. C'n I Mommy? Daddy? Please?"

"Pretty please?" Chloe added.

"I don't know about..." Vanessa began, but was cut off by her husband.

"Of course you can, baby. So long as it's alright with William and Joyce."

"Ryan!"

"What?"

"She's only three, and what if..."

"'What if' what?"

"Erm...nothing."

"So I c'n stay? For reals? Mommy?"

"Yes. I suppose so. Just remember your manners, Max, and be a good girl."

"'m always a good girl, Mommy."

"Will it be okay with you and William, Joyce?"

"Of course! Max is just a delight to have around. And we'll keep her perfectly safe, I promise."

"Aren't you going to ask William first? Which is more than my husband did with me." Vanessa shot Ryan a look of mock disapproval.

"That won't be necessary. I know he'll be fine with it. Isn't that right, dear?"

William turned from whatever it was that he was arranging above the front doorway, and faced his wife. "What's that, love?"

"I said that you wouldn't mind if little Max spent the night here tonight."

"It would be our pleasure."

"So that's decided then."

"Yay!" squealed Chloe.

"Joyce love?"

"Yes dear."

"The mistletoe is up..."

"Oooo how can I resist an offer such as that. Close your eyes, Chloe."

"Ew! Gross! C'mon Max. We don't wanna watch them being icky with each other, do we?"

"Nope. Yucky!"

"Chloe, why don't you give Max her present now?"

"Can I? Right now? Cool!"

"Max, here. You should give Chloe her present too."

"You got me a present?"

"Yup. You're my best friend."

"Awwwww. That's very nice of you to say that, little Max. How adorably sweet." said Joyce with tender, smiling eyes.

"'s true."

"You're my best friend, too, Max."

"'nk you."

"Here's your present. Go on. Open it."

Max daintily tore at the paper, revealing the stuffed toy inside.

"A 'nuggle teddy bear! 'nks Chloe! 's awesome! Now you c'n open yours. I chose it 'pecial, jus' for you. Not Mommy or Daddy. Jus' me. All by myself. 'n be careful. 's breaky glass. Don't 'urt yourself."

"Okay. Extra careful Chloe mode turned on...oh this is beautiful. Look Mom!"

"That is very pretty indeed. What a wonderfully precious little thing."

"Can I put it on the shelf above the fire, Mom?"

"Of course. I can't think of a better place for it to go. Now I have to get back to the dinner. Our guests should be arriving any second now."

"Guests? I thought we were only expecting Anderson? Who else is coming?"

"Sheriff Bell. Loretta is out of town at her sister's house until the new year, and she didn't want him to spend today alone. So Anderson and I hatched a plan to get him here for dinner. Sorry I didn't tell you, but we wanted it to be a surprise. Is that okay with you, dear?"

"Of course it is, love. The more the merrier. There's plenty to go around."

"I think that's them pulling up right now. You can greet them, Bill. You are the man of the house, after all. Ryan, Vanessa, please seat yourselves at the table. I'm nearly ready to serve. Chloe, you and Max can sit on the couch. We're a little short on seating today."

"Cool. C'mon Maxo."

Chloe shook Max's gift before placing it down upon the shelf. Instead of snowflakes, a myriad of tiny bright blue butterflies fluttered around the lighthouse inside the glass dome, shimmering and twinkling in the lights from the tree near the window.