Transformation

"So, what do you think of our date so far?"

"It's been awesome, Chloe. The best one I've ever been on."

"You've had other dates?"

"Kinda. I wasn't really interested in dating anyone, but Kristen was like a dog with a bone and kept arranging them for me. It wasn't too bad as she came along with Fernando, but frankly they were all still disasters."

"Why? How come?"

"I just never felt anything...romantic, if you know what I mean. Nothing at all. Not until you. I never really found a groove with any of the boys...ooooh...I am such a complete and utter dork!"

"What?"

"Not long before I left Seattle to come back here, the three of us went out to a party, and Kristen's new friend was there too. I've only just realised what was going on. It all makes perfect sense now. I am a total idiot. Damn Kristen, how on earth did you know? Even I didn't know. Man, this is crazy."

"How did she know what?"

"About me...that I like girls. Kristen's friend was a girl, and I have a horrible suspicion that Kristen had set me up with her. Shitballs! It was a freakin' date! I had no idea at the time, but I realise now that she must have been a lesbian. How could I have been so incredibly naive?"

"Max, it took me a while to find out as well, so don't beat yourself up too much. It can be a major mindfuck, but you know that already. So, how did it go? What was she like? Was she pretty? Did she make any moves on you?"

"I can't really remember her to be honest. I think her name was Diane, Dana or something like that. She didn't really try anything on, but she kept holding my hand, which I thought a little strange at the time considering that I barely knew her. Oh crap. When we were leaving, I think she may have been about to try and kiss me. Then she invited me to go home with her. Just me, not Kristen and Fernando."

"And did you?"

"What! What the hell do you think? Of course I didn't! I went straight home. Oh my god Chloe, I think she totally wanted to have sex with me! With me! And I didn't have the slightest clue!"

"Of course she wanted to take you home and get you between her sheets. Who wouldn't? Have you seen yourself?"

"I feel so stupid."

"You're not stupid at all. You're just undergoing the transformation from a girl into a woman. It doesn't suddenly happen overnight. Everybody does it at their own pace. You obviously weren't ready back then. It's easy to look back with the wisdom of hindsight and think you should have done things differently, but that's just pointless. If there's one thing I'm learning, it's like you said - we should focus on the here and now, not the past."

"Just wait until I speak to Kristen. I'm so going to rip into her for that!"

"Why? She was just trying to help you, like any friend would. You should thank her."

"I guess. And she knew! Was it really that obvious to everyone? Why didn't she say anything to me? Why didn't anyone say anything?"

"She may not have known for sure. She was probably just testing the water because of the way your dates with boys weren't working out."

"I suppose you're right. That must be it."

"Haven't you ever been the slightest bit curious about them? Boys, I mean."

"Yuck! No. Never."

"Not even now? Now that you've...emerged from your cocoon? Isn't there a single male on the planet that gets your juices flowing?"

"Chloe! That's a gross expression! And no. Never. No film stars or anything. I'm one hundred percent certain - I finally know who I am. And it's a hell of a relief, to tell you the truth. So many things are starting to make much more sense to me now. You're right – it's definitely a mindf...scramble. What about you? I suppose you must have...have you...been with a boy?"

"Max, I don't think you want to know about that, do you?"

"I don't want any names or details. I'm just curious as to what you got up to while I was away. There are still quite a few blanks I have to fill in. I want to know every single little thing about you. Besides, it's all in the past. It doesn't matter now, does it?"

"I guess not, but even so, are you sure you want to hear this?"

"I'm buying into the whole package, remember? No secrets. But only if you're comfortable with talking about it."

"I'm not really, but you deserve to know. Anyway, there isn't really that much to tell. I tried it with two, and I didn't enjoy it either time. In fact, I found it rather gross and off-putting. I didn't even like them. I don't even know why I did it with them at all. I was high and drunk, they tried it on and I basically thought to myself 'Fuck it. Why not?'. I regretted both times immediately and soon learnt several reasons why not. I went through a voluntary dry spell after that. I wasn't short of offers, but I simply wasn't interested, so I just took care of things myself, you know. And that was all she wrote until...well, the rest you already know. That's it. I know I just said we shouldn't dwell on the past, but I so wish I'd waited for you."

"Hey. Remember what I said to you – this will be your first time, our first time. But thanks for telling me. That couldn't have been easy for you."

"It couldn't have been easy for you to hear either."

"I wasn't here Chloe. It's cool. We're cool. Totally."

"Damn Max I love you so fucking much."

"Even with the expletives it makes me all tingly when I hear you say that. That's my Chloe."

"Yes. I am your Chloe. Are you done eating?"

"Yep. My belly is full."

"C'mon, let's blow this joint."

"Goodbye ladies. Here is your takeout. And more for Frank, plus a little something for Pompidou."

"Thanks Kate. Make sure you take some food and stuff for yourself. Are you okay with closing up and everything?"

"Of course. It's all arranged. Mr Madsen is coming to help me and then take me back to the dorm. Now go and enjoy the rest of your evening. Time flies."

"Thank you so much Kate. We're both so grateful for all you've done for us. You're an absolute angel. I won't forget this. I majorly owe you." said Max.

"You owe me nothing – either of you. It's been a pleasure. It's simply wonderful to see you both so happy together. That is all the reward that I desire. Just be good to each other."

"We will. And thanks again. Bye."

"Bye Kate."

"What now then Price?"

"One more vehicle trip, then we'll be all alone. Just me and you. Here you go Franky boy. A takeout for you and your little furry buddy."

"Thanks Chloe. All ready for the last stop?"

"Yup. Drive on Jeeves. I've got my belt on Max, look."

"I had already checked, but it's good to see that you're learning the way of the Max."

"Ah so Grasshopper."

"Chloe?"

"Shut the fluff up?"

"No. Kiss me. Right now."

"With pleasure."