Sanctuary

She ran blindly. Chloe didn't care where. She just needed to get away. Away from home. Away from Rachel. Away from Max. Yet again, straight out of nowhere, a bomb had exploded in her world. 'Why does this shit keep happening to me? What have I done to deserve this sort of crap over and over? Please just leave me the fuck alone! Right when my life starts to get better a storm always pops up out of a clear fucking blue sky and lays waste to everything around me. Every...single...bastard...time! Give me a fucking break for once!'

The sidewalk petered out, giving way to the wooded hillside, but Chloe didn't even slow down a fraction. 'What a horrible way for her to find out about me and Rachel. To find out about me. What must Max think? I bet I've blown it for sure now. Fuck! She's gonna be so hurt and angry that I didn't tell her myself. We've never kept secrets from each other. We always tell each other everything. I've betrayed her, and now she knows that I have. I am so so sorry Max. I never meant for it to be this way. I so wanted to be the one to tell you. I never wanted you to find out like this. I thought I'd got everything like that hidden away in my lockbox. Damn! Why the hell didn't I check the room? Because you're a fucking idiot, Chloe Price, that's why!'

Now that she was in the forest, she slowed to a walk. Perhaps subconsciously, she had made her way to the tree fort clearing. 'Yeah, that's where I need to be. I never took Rachel there. She never even knew it existed. I can't handle memories of her. That's the last thing I need right now. At least I never betrayed you with that Max. The tree fort will always be just ours. Yours and mine. Our special place. No one else allowed. Ever. That's one thing I never messed up.' She scrambled up into the foliage, rapidly vanishing from view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Max? Are you two alright? What's happened?" Joyce was already at the foot of the stairs.

"Oh Joyce...I...uh...found a photo of...of Chloe and...she was with a girl...erm...Rachel, I think...Chloe saw me looking at it...then she ran away. I need to find her. I really need to talk to her Joyce."

"Oh heavens! What a terrible way for you to find out. You poor girl. I'm so sorry Munchkin – you deserved much better than this. But you're right, you need to catch up with Chloe – I think only you can sort this one out, Max. This is between you and Chloe. She usually goes to the junkyard or the lighthouse, but they're a fair trot away I'm afraid."

"It's okay Joyce. I don't care how far I have to go. I'd go to the other side of the world for her if I had to. I just have to be with her as soon as possible. I'm sorry Joyce, but I really should get going." said Max as she opened the front door.

Joyce saw the truck sprawled across the driveway. "Oh. She hasn't taken her truck. That's very odd. Chloe never walks anywhere now."

It came to Max in a flash. "I know exactly where she's gone."

"Your tree fort! Of course."

"Yep. That's where she'll be. For sure. Bye Joyce. I have to run."

"Okay Max. Good luck. I'll be here waiting for you if you need anything."

"Thanks. I don't know how long we'll be."

"Take your time. You two have all the time in the world. Now get after her. I suspect she needs you. She must be very upset."

"'kay. Bye."

Joyce watched the tiny girl sprint down the street, then closed the door. 'Well, I told her true love always finds a way, and I guess it has now, in a fashion. I hope they sort things out.' Joyce raised her head to the ceiling. "Bill, if you're up there, please watch over them. They need each other so much. They've been apart for more than long enough. It's way past time that they were together. Please Bill, help them. For me. For all of us. I will always love you my darling."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'God damn you Max Caulfield! Why do you always have to be so fucking nosy? Now look what you've gone and done – everything was simply perfect, and you went and screwed it all up. And how in the hell did I not realise what I am before today? I couldn't see the truth until it was thrust directly into my face. What's wrong with me? Am I some sort of imbecile? I should have known. Why didn't I? How does anyone not know something as major as that? Jesus! Seeing Chloe like that in the photo...doing that to her...it was like a physical pain in my heart. Chloe is more to me than a best friend, I know that now, but who knows how she really sees me? Am I in love with her? Or am I just being a total dork? I believe you're about to find out, Max Caulfield.'

She realised that she was already in the forest with the clearing not far ahead, and still running at full pelt. 'Slow down Max. You have absolutely no idea what you're going to say to her when you get there. Well, do you?' Fear started to rise in her gut. 'Oh hell no. I'm done being scared. I caused this mess. I have to put it right. This is down to me to sort out and me alone. I never want to see Chloe hurt or upset, especially because of something I've done. No way! I can do this. I will do this. I'd do anything for her.' Max paused at the bottom of the tree, her mind ablaze. 'Oh for fuck's sake! Just climb up Max. What are you waiting for? A written invitation?' The doe watched her ascend into the branches.

Chloe was hunched in the corner, her head buried in her raised knees. She looked so alone, frightened and vulnerable - like a small child whose world had disintegrated into fragments. Max's heart melted at the sight. She just wanted to hold her and make everything right for her best friend...or whatever Chloe was to her now. Words failed her, so she just knelt beside Chloe and placed an arm around her shoulders. For a few seconds Chloe didn't move at all. Then she slowly leaned towards Max, moving her head so that it was resting on the small girl's chest. Her eyes remained shut tight. Max lovingly caressed her bright blue hair with the other hand. It was in that moment that Max finally knew. 'Yes. I'm in love with her. I'm in love with Chloe Elizabeth Price.' A butterfly alighted from the leaves where it had been resting and drifted upwards gracefully, glowing iridescent blue despite the gloom within the girl's sanctuary.