Laid Bare

Chloe opened her eyes to the pleasant sight of her girlfriend's arm draped over her lovingly and her head resting on her chest. She could smell Max's apple-scented shampoo. Both of them were still fully clothed. Max's legs were drawn up as far as she could get them. The flag over the window wafted gently in the night breeze, performing magic with the light in the room. Motes of dust lazily drifted in the air, occasionally glistening like miniature brilliant blue diamonds as the moon's rays caught them.

Chloe let loose a tiny sigh of pure contentment. 'I never want this to end. I want to stay in this moment forever. Just like this. It's perfect. She's perfect. I want the whole world to just go away and leave us alone. We've both paid our dues. With interest. We deserve peace and happiness. Look at her – damn, how could anybody even think about hurting her? She's so pure, sweet and kind – the gentlest, most loving soul there ever was. Who does that? What kind of world does that? Well, not any more. I'll die protecting her if I have to. No one is going to hurt my angel ever again.'

The television had shut itself off. 'I wonder which one of us passed out first...shit! I didn't turn on the lamp! But she's fast asleep anyway. Man, she must really be starting to put all that terrible crap behind her. How the hell does she do it? I wish I had her strength. She's so goddamn resilient. Max Caulfield you truly are someone really special. I am the luckiest person on earth to have you here with me. I feel so goddamn guilty. I thought my world had fallen apart, but it hadn't, not really - not compared to how yours had, Max. Sure, I took a major hit or two, but I was my own worst enemy. I was trying to destroy what little I had left. Why? What the fuck was I thinking? I put my poor mom through hell at a time when she had seen the love of her life extinguished right before her very eyes. I can only imagine how horrible that must have been for her. I was an utter douche to her. And all she did in return was show me total, unconditional love – even when I was yelling and cursing right in her face. I'm so gonna make it up to you Mom, I swear. I owe you so much. I'm sorry. I wish I could go back in time to take everything back. Maybe if I figure things out I might be able to time-travel to precisely where and when I want to. Who knows what I may be able to do if I could? What if I found a way to stop Max from ever leaving in the first place? Fuckfuckfuck! Of course! What if there's a way to save my dad? Holy hell! I might be able to stop Dad from dying! Shit!'

Chloe tried hard to remain calm so as not to wake Max, but her mind was now doing cartwheels. "Chill out Chloe. Don't get your hopes up too much – you have no idea what this butterfly shit is yet. So you've been back in time once. Big whoop! That doesn't mean you'll be able to do it again. And you had no control over it. You were taken there by someone or something. What if I can't pick the moment I want to go to? And remember what Max said – this could be dangerous. Fucking with time is hella complicated and full of tricksy crap. How many movies have you seen where it all turns to shit, Chloe Price? You are not Stephen Hawking - you're just a fucked-up teenage dyke who usually listens to the batshit crazy voice in her head and acts completely on impulse. And power corrupts. I can't let that happen – at least I have Max to make sure it doesn't. I may not listen to anyone else but I'll listen to her. She'll make sure I do the right thing. This is so hardcore – I need to really think about stuff before I do anything. Think Chloe, think.'

Chloe slid out of the bed, turned on her desk lamp and quietly made her way to the bathroom. 'Man I need to splash some cold water on my face and chill for a bit. Right. What am I going to do? I'm stumbling around in the dark. I need to find out more about all of this. But how? Where do I start? I think Mom knows something but I don't know whether I can lay all this on her right now. I have no idea how to begin. I have so many questions and nobody who can answer them. I don't know what I'm looking for or where to look for it...sheesh Chloe you are so dense. You know exactly where to start looking. It's been staring you in the goddamn face all the time. I needed to go back there anyway – I have even more reason to go now.' Chloe tiptoed back to the bedroom to find Max had slithered over to her side of the bed. 'Of course.' Chloe smiled to herself, her face partially illuminated by the lamp. She kissed Max softly on the head. "Sweet dreams Angel. I'll be back real soon." she whispered. Chloe donned her shoes before silently slipping out of the window. 'Time for some answers, Miss Butterfly.'