Falling Once Again

Chloe was weeping as well. Max gazed lovingly at her for a few seconds, then grabbed a tissue and proceeded to wipe away her friend's tears.

"Thanks. I think you missed one near my eyeball."

Max giggled a little. "There, all done."

"Now get me one of those, so I can return the favour."

"Be gentle. Don't hurt me. I'm far too small and delicate for your rough ministrations."

"As if I would."

"You forget, I know you too well, Chloe Price."

"Shut up and get over here, crybaby."

Chloe gently caressed Max's face with the tissue, staring into her eyes the whole time. 'She's so goddamn cute. Hell, I could just kiss her, right here and now...ohhhh shit. Where had that come from? Get a grip of yourself, Chloe. That's your best friend, not one of your squeezes. Fuck fuck fuck! No. This can't be happening. No way. Get this shit stamped out right now, Price, before you mess everything up again.' Chloe abruptly dropped her gaze, fidgeting with the bed sheets nervously. A concerned look came over Max's face.

"What's the matter? Is everything all right?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm cool." 'Oh crap, she hadn't noticed, had she? Could she tell what I was thinking? Was it that obvious?'

"It's just that you look really anxious. Have I done something wrong? What is it?"

"No no. I was just remembering what I said to you back at the house. You didn't deserve that. I was a total douche. Go on, you can hit me if you want. I'll let you. Just not in the face, okay?" said Chloe, trying hard to force a smile.

Max smiled at her and stroked her hair. "Thank you for the very gracious offer. Let me see now...hmmm...I have to admit it's an incredibly tempting proposal, but I shall have to politely decline. I couldn't possibly hurt so much as a single strand of beautiful blue hair on that pretty little head of yours."

'Oh god Max, stop.' thought Chloe. 'You have absolutely no idea what you're doing to me. Yep. This was bad. Very, very bad. Goddammit!' Max retreated to the chair and cupped Chloe's hand in her own. Chloe was deeply grateful that Max had ceased fondling her hair, but the warmth of the smaller girl's hands cradling hers was causing Chloe to tingle all over. 'Oh my fucking god! This is soooo not good.'

"Do you want me to go and see if Joyce is awake now? We have a room not too far away."

"Sure, but don't wake her up if she's still sleeping. I'll never hear the end of it." Chloe was extremely grateful for the distraction. Right now she would have taken anything. A bomb scare or a tornado warning. Either would have done.

"Aye aye Cap'n. See you soon. Try not to get into too much trouble while I'm gone." Max kissed Chloe on the forehead again before leaving the room.

Chloe waited until the door was fully closed before she fell back onto the pillow and clapped both hands to her face. Her mind was racing. 'What the hell am I going to do? I can't possibly be falling in love with Max. I just can't be. It'll fuck up everything. And I've still got all that freaky crap to sort out yet. Perfect fucking timing! We've just teamed up again and now I'm going to ruin it all. Of all the people to fall in love with, why did it have to be Max? No good can come out of this. None. What on earth do I do?...nothing, that's what. Absolutely nothing at all. I'm going to do precisely jack shit. Max must never find out. Ever. I can manage that.'

"How long?"

Chloe had completely forgotten all about the nurse being in the room. "I'm sorry? How long what?"

Debbie was grinning like the Cheshire Cat. "How long have you been in love with her?"