Drink Up Buttercup

Chloe opened her eyes to a darkened room. She could hear the gentle hum of machinery and quiet, intermittent beeping. 'What the hell is this? What's happening? Where am I?'

"Well, hello there. How are you feeling?" said an unfamiliar voice. Chloe turned her head to the speaker.

"Like shit. Who are you?"

"My name's Debbie." said the nurse, smiling at Chloe. "I'm your night nurse. You're in hospital. Don't worry, you're fine Chloe. You were found unconscious and bought here. That's about all we know for now. We should be quieter in case we wake up Sleeping Beauty here."

Chloe noticed a slight pressure on her abdomen. She looked down to see a flock of brown hair resting on her stomach. 'Max! I'm not dead! How? And Max is here! What in the hell? I jumped. I know I did! Then there was all that weird shit, and now suddenly I'm in a hospital? Shitballs, this is crazy! I don't care. I'll figure it out later. I'm back. And Max is here with me.' Chloe smiled down at the sleeping girl.

"She's been here for nearly two days now, and the only time she's left your side has been to go to the restroom. She's doted on you so much that I'll need to be careful she doesn't steal my job from under me. But seriously, she obviously adores you. You should be very grateful to have a sister like her."

"Er...Max isn't my sister. I don't have a sister."

"Oh. I see. Well, let's keep that between ourselves, shall we? I like bending the rules a little, don't you?" said the nurse, winking. "You should treasure your friend, then. Judging by how she's fussed over you constantly, she's somebody you don't want to lose. She clearly idolises you totally. Any way, I should go get your mom and tell her the good news. Plus you need to be checked over by a doctor."

"Please don't. Not yet. I'd just like it to be quiet for a bit. I don't feel like being prodded and poked at. I just want to lie here with Max for a while." said Chloe, tenderly placing a hand on the smaller girl's head.

"Okay, no problem. I'm not allowed to leave you, but I'll be as unobtrusive as possible. If there's anything you need just holler."

Max stirred and awakened. She sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Hnh....what time is it? How's Chloe?"

"It's nearly three a.m. And why don't you ask her yourself?"

"It's about time you woke up, Maxo. Your snoring was disturbing the other patients."

"Chloe!" Max jumped up, embracing her with both arms, showering her forehead and face with kisses. "I didn't think you were going to wake up! I thought you'd gone."

"Damn! Take it easy girl. I'm not quite up to hot monkey sex yet. Gimme a few hours, though, and I'm all yours. Awww look. I made Maxine blush." said Chloe, chuckling.

"You never change."

"And you don't want me to. Ah man, my throat is so dry. What does a woman have to do to get a drink around here?" Max poured a drink from the pitcher.

"Don't overdo it or drink too fast. A few small sips at a time would be best." advised the nurse.

"Here you go. Drink up Buttercup. Is that better?"

"My tongue is red raw, but that'll do for now. Thanks Max."

"It's all that cursing you do."

"I wish I could punch your face right now."

The two girls shared a smile.

"Chloe, listen, there's something I need to tell you..."

"Uhuh. Me first. Max, at the house the other day, I didn't mean it. I don't hate you. I was just cross and upset. I wasn't thinking straight. It was all so sudden, you turning up like that. I'm so sorry. I never want to hurt you ever again. You kept your promise. I know now. I know it all. I'm so sorry Max, I was stupid. Please forgive me."

"Shush. You're forgiven. I was to blame as well. I should have tried harder and kept in touch with you. I've got no exc..."

"All that matters is that you're here with me now. I don't care about anything else. Okay, your turn."

"Er...right...sure...well...I..."

"Take your time. I'm not going anywhere soon."

Max moved her head in closer and lowered her voice. "I thought you were dead. Oh Chloe, I thought I'd lost you." Max placed her hands on Chloe's face and planted yet more kisses on her forehead. Chloe could feel the warm tears falling onto her face. "It made me realise just how much you mean to me. Chloe, I'm nothing without you...I love you, Chloe. I always have."

Chloe raised her hands to Max's face and stared into her eyes. "Max."

"Yes?"

"I love you too."

Debbie looked on from the corner, smiling at the two girls.