Busted

"Hi Kate. Come on in."

"Hello everyone. Thank you so much for the invite. The food smells absolutely gorgeous. A little birdy tells me that you're a wonderful cook, Mrs Price."

"Please Kate, call me Joyce. I don't like to blow my own trumpet, but my guests rarely leave anything on their plate, particularly and especially Max here. Seriously, where do you put it all?"

"I dunno. I've just always been tiny, no matter how much I eat. Kristen used to be so jealous. She only had to look at a cake and she gained five pounds. I guess I'm just blessed."

"Yes, you most certainly are." said Kate.

"That reminds me, I must get in touch with Kristen and Fernando. They'll think I've just dropped off the Earth."

"Yeah, I know that feeling. Bad habit of yours, that is."

"Please Chloe, don't bring this up now. We're happy, aren't we? Can't we just leave it at that for now? I don't want to drag all that up again, especially today, and people wouldn't wish to hear it. Maybe one day I'll tell you about everything that happened in Seattle, but now isn't the time."

"Sorry Maxo. I shouldn't have said that. I didn't mean to come across as bitchy. So Kate, how's tricks at Blackwell?"

"Fairly quiet. But everyone is still talking about the fight. You are quite the star, Chloe. A lot of people think you're awesome. And Warren keeps asking about you, Max. I get the feeling he wanted to come along here with me today, but was far too nervous to even ask, let alone do so. He is really besotted with you, I feel."

"Who wouldn't be? She's perfect in every way. But he's shit out of luck. She's spoken for." Chloe placed her arm around the smaller girl's waist. Max was blushing again.

"You're together? Well that is simply wonderful! Looking at you two, I cannot think of a better couple." Kate smiled, lighting up the room.

"Er, don't some religions look down on this sort of thing?" asked Chloe.

"I'm not a member of any formal religion, not really. A lot of them have rules which are devised by men to suit their own needs – just another limb of the establishment that seeks to control and exploit the many for the benefit of a select few. Organisations like that are anything but holy or worthy of praise, and I want no part of any of them. I just believe in peace, harmony, happiness and love. That is all we need. Everything else is irrelevant. And it's obvious that the love between you two is truly divine. It does not matter what you are. Not to me, nor should it to anyone else. Love is the only thing that matters."

"Man, you're great. The world needs more people like you."

"Probably. But I do think the world needs all sorts of people – that way things tend to balance out. Oh Max, look at you blushing. I know this is all new to you, but just relax and be happy. You are finally home." Kate bathed Max in her glowing smile.

"I am so overjoyed. It's just...everything has happened so fast. It's been a major eye-opener for me. I guess I'm still coming to terms with it – what I am. And it's Chloe...I mean just, like, wow! I so never saw that coming. And then there's everything else. It's been a hel...majorly intense time for me. For both of us."

"You shouldn't think like that. What you are is in love. That is the only important thing. Don't label yourself with arbitrary titles made up by others. You are simply you, not what the others refer to you as. Don't listen to them – listen to yourself. Listen to Chloe."

"I guess. I'm sure I'll get more used to it over time."

"Of that, I have no doubt." said Kate.

"Here you are ladies - home-made lemonade." said Joyce, placing three glasses on the breakfast bar.

"Thanks Mrs Price."

"Just Joyce, remember – we don't stand on ceremony here. Just ask Chloe."

"Nah. We're so chilled we don't even need ice in our drinks, apparently."

"Oh, how could I forget that? I'll just get it for you, ladies."

"It's alright Mom. I got this."

"Thanks Chloe, you're a star."

"I should ask, how are you coping with all of this, Chloe? It must have come as quite a surprise to you as well. If you ever need to talk again, you know where I am."

"Thanks. I'm doing just great. It's been a serious head-rush, but Max finally came back to me and she is really helping me handle things. She's made me smile and laugh like I haven't done in years. I'd be lost without her. And I have my Mom...and David. I just wish my Dad could be here with us. I'm sure he would love to see me and Max together. Still, I shouldn't torment myself like that."

"You never know, Chloe. Perhaps he can see you. There are more things in Heaven and Earth than can possibly be dreamt of. Some bonds can't be broken. They're just too special." said Kate with a reassuring smile.

"You know, when I hear you say it, I could almost actually believe you."

"Thank you. I suppose I just have a way with words...and with people. If I have made you even just a little happier, then I am doing my job correctly."

"Thanks for the card, Kate. That was lovely. And for watching over my room too. You're an angel. What would we do without you?"

"It is not a problem at all. That is what I am here for."

"You're so sweet. Everyone should have a friend like you."

"Yes. That would be great. But even I can't be everywhere."

"The food won't be long ladies. Seat yourselves at the table."

"Mom, can't we just doss on the couch like usual?"

"You know the rules, Chloe – not when we have guests."

"Alright, I'm just going to nip upstairs and...er...get ready for dinner. I won't be long."

Joyce rolled her eyes. "Chloe, I don't mind if you want a smoke or whatever – just close your door and open the window when you do. The stench of it fills the whole house."

"I was only going to..."

"I know you, Chloe. Like the back of my hand. You may be able to pull the wool over David's eyes, but you can't with me. I know what you're going to do before you even do. I can read you like a book."

"Ha ha! Busted!" said Max, laughing.

"I see. Teaming up against me now, are you? Charming! I know when I'm beat. But I'm gonna make you pay for that, Caulfield."

"Yeah yeah. You like it really - being bossed about. Your rough and ready front doesn't fool me. You can't pull the wool over my eyes, either. You forget, I know everything about you, Chloe Price. Now do as your Mom tells you, or I'll go get the flour again."

"Well and truly busted!" said Joyce, smiling affectionately.