The Promise

Chloe ran to her father. "Daddy!"

"Whoa there horsey!" laughed William as his daughter bounded towards him, her long hair billowing behind her as she ran. She collided with her father, causing William to stumble back a step. Chloe wrapped her arms around his waist, then leaned backwards so she could look up at his face. "What's got you in so much of a hurry, eh, my precious Princess? Let me guess – you challenged poor wee Max to a race and cheated yourself a head-start again." Max emerged through the tree line edging the clearing. "Is that what she did Munchkin?"

"Nope. Not this time. We...er..."

"We saw a deer! It came right up to us. And it let us stroke it. It was just amazing! You should have seen it Daddy! It was wonderful."

"I imagine it was, but I'll wager it wasn't as wonderful as you are – I'd stake my life on that. It seems even the fauna of Arcadia Bay are susceptible to your irresistible charms. That doesn't surprise me in the slightest – you're simply adorable."

"And Max too. Don't forget Max. She's awesome as well."

"Why of course she is. I was referring to both you and Max. The two of you are simply delightful – the prettiest, most angelic, sweetest young ladies there ever was."

"And there was a butterfly too. A pretty blue one. Max, tell him. Tell him what it did."

"It fluttered down out of the sky and landed on the deer's head. Then I moved my arm forwards to stroke the deer again and the butterfly flew into the palm of my hand and just stayed there. For ages. Uncle William, it was wonderful."

"Did it indeed? You know what it means when a butterfly does that to you, don't you?"

"Nope."

"When you are blessed by a butterfly it means that you are truly loved – that someone loves you very, very much. Someone thinks you're really special."

"Daddy. Duh. Of course someone loves her and thinks she's super-special - me. I do." said Chloe as she placed an arm around her friend's shoulders.

"That makes two of us then." said William.

A blush blossomed on Max's freckled cheeks. "Cut it out. I'm just me - nobody special."

"Are you not?" asked William. "I rather beg to differ. And I'm sure Chloe does also."

"Yep, I sure do." Chloe gave Max a small peck on her glowing cheek. "Max, you're the best."

"Nope, you two are the best. And Auntie Joyce too."

"What about me?" said Joyce as she entered the clearing, a wicker picnic basket hanging from a strap over one shoulder.

"Hi Honey. Max here was just waxing lyrical about how fabulous you are. Or are you merely saying that because of her fantastic food, Max?"

"Bill, stop teasing the poor wee lamb. Ignore him my lovely little Munchkin and come over here baby – I have a little treat for you." Joyce placed the basket down upon the ground and seated herself atop the tree stump.

"Well, I'll let you ladies feast yourselves – I just have a tiny little bit more to do over yonder. I'm nearly finished, so I'll be back in no time."

"Okay Bill. Take your time. I'll make sure they leave you some."

"Oooooo. Whaddya make us Mom? Please say it's your chocolate cake." Chloe lifted the lid of the basket and began to rummage around inside.

Joyce slapped her daughter playfully on the hand. "Keep your grubby little paws out. You know the rules - Max goes first. Here you go Munchkin. Your favourite – my choccy chip cupcakes."

"Super! Thanks Joyce. You're the best m...auntie ever."

"Mauntie? You making your own words up now, Maxo? Existing words not good enough for you?"

"Max, you can call me 'Mom' if you like, you know. I wouldn't mind at all. You're like a daughter to me, after all. In fact, I'd be real honoured if you did. Nothing would give me more pleasure."

"Um..."

"What's the matter? Chloe wouldn't mind, would you Chloe?"

"Of course I don't mind. Max, you're my sister from another mister. Go right ahead if you want."

"Er...thanks...that's really nice, and I'd like to...but...but I shouldn't. I mean, you're great and everything, Joyce, and I love you and all, but I can't. I'm sorry. I'd...I'd be in serious trouble if I did."

"Your mom?" asked Chloe.

"Um. Yeah."

"Dude, she's just so goddamn uptight. She seriously ne..."

"Chloe Elizabeth Price! You watch your tongue young lady!"

"What? We're not God-botherers. What's the big deal Mom?"

"I don't care whether we're bible-bash...religious or not. It's not a nice word, and I don't wish to hear you say it again. Is that clear? You haven't been raised to talk that way, have you?"

"No Mom. Sorry."

"As well you should be. Now then, let's forget that ever happened, shall we? Lemonade?"

"Yes please Auntie Joyce."

"Thanks Mom."

"Well then ladies, it's finally finished. Are you ready to claim it as your own?" asked William as he strode back towards the picnic site, wiping his hands upon his thighs as he walked.

"The tree fort? Awesomesauce! Come on Maxo!"

Chloe grabbed Max's hand and ran over towards the tree as William and Joyce looked on, arm-in-arm and smiling fondly at the two girls as they climbed the tree together, laughing merrily as they ascended.

"Oh Bill. Look at them – they're always so joyously happy when they're with each other. They're both simply beautiful, aren't they?"

"They certainly are, my darling. We couldn't have wished for two daughters as wonderful as they are. They're absolutely perfect in every way. Worth dying for."

Joyce sighed and rested her head on her husband's shoulder. "Bill, isn't there any other way?"

"I wish there was my sweet. With all of my heart. But this is the only way."

"If only I could come with you. I'm going to miss you so much. I love you Bill."

"I love you too my angel. To the bottom of my soul. But one of us has to stay here for them. They will need you here sweetheart, when the time comes. You know what you have to do. For Chloe. For both of them. And when that time finally arrives, you and I will be together again. I promise you. I'll be right here. Waiting for you."

"It is all going to be worth it, isn't it Bill? You are totally sure it's going to work, aren't you? Please tell me everything will be alright. Don't let it get them, Bill. Please. I couldn't bear it if anything happened to either of them – it would utterly destroy me. Promise me Bill. Promise me you'll save them."

"I promise you. I will save them. They, like us, will be together forever."