Dreamers

"Max. Come on slowpoke, wake up. It's time to go." said Chloe as she bounced onto the bed. Max sluggishly stirred to life, looking bleary-eyed and confused. She slowly stretched her arms above her head before laying them down upon her stomach. Chloe rested on her side, supporting her head with one arm as she gazed adoringly at the young girl beside her. "I love watching you wake up. You're so damn cute."

"Me? Cute? First thing in the morning? I seriously doubt it. I think you should have your eyes tested."

Chloe leaned over and placed a sweet kiss in the centre of the other girl's forehead. "You have absolutely no idea just how goddamn adorable you are, do you? That just makes you even cuter."

"If you say so, Price."

"I do. Stay right there for a second. Just like that. Don't move a muscle." Chloe quickly grabbed the camera from the floor and took a photo of her friend before she could hide herself underneath the covers.

"Chloe! I must look a right mess! Don't you dare show that to anyone. Ever."

"No chance. This one is just for us - our memory. You won't be twelve forever, you know."

"I wish I could be. I'm so lucky to have a friend like you. You're the best friend ever. I wish our childhood never had to end."

"Me too. But I wonder what we'll be like five years from now - when we're grown-ups. In my mind I'm gonna be a rock star or something cool and awesome like that. I wanna really live before I die."

"I'm sure that you do. But don't you ever die on me. That simply is not allowed. I never want to be Priceless..."

"Groan."

"Shut up! Like you never say it! Anyway, I can just picture you as a rock chick thrashing about on stage with a guitar. Or going crazy on the drums."

"Yeah. Damn right Maxo. That would be uber-cool. I'd thrash the place. What do you think you'll be doing then?"

"I dunno. I'd like to be a photographer, obviously, but I imagine so many things."

"What sort of things? Boys, I bet."

"Yeah, right. I don't even think about stuff like that, and you know I don't. Stop teasing me. I'd like a lovely cottage with a beautiful garden where I could grow stuff. Daffodils and tulips. I love those. They're so pretty. And I'd grow vegetables too – my little babies which I could watch over. A pet doggy - something small and cute. But I'd like to travel the world as well. I've always wanted to go to Paris. A long cruise on an ocean liner. Lazing on the deck with a good book. Sun-drenched paradise beaches. Swimming in the clear blue sea. Visiting art galleries and exhibitions all over the place. Cities with great architecture. Hiking in places with gorgeous scenery so I could take lots of photos."

"You are such a dreamer. That's really sweet. But all that and no one to share it with? No husband? Kids? No family? Sounds hella lonely."

"Of course I wouldn't be alone. I wouldn't dare do things like that by myself – you would be there with me. I'd share it all with you. You don't think I'd go anywhere without you, do you? I need you. And I'm never leaving you."

"I'll hold you to that, Caulfield."

"Cool, but in return I want front row seats to your concerts, VIP treatment, the works."

"Screw that! You're gonna be right there on stage next to me. You can play the guitar."

"You what! Are you cereal? Me? On stage? In front of lots of people all looking at me? That is soooooo not happening. I'll stay out of sight in the wings, thank you very much."

"Stop being so goddamn shy and nervous. Max, you're amazing. They would all bow before you."

"That makes it sound even worse. I'd just die of embarrassment...Chloe, what about you? Do you ever wonder about having kids and stuff?"

"Nah. I plan on being far too busy with everything - living in the moment. You know me."

"That sounds hella lonely too."

"Max, we'll be together forever. So long as we have each other, neither of us will be lonely. Right?"

"Definitely. We might well both be dreamers, but no matter what happens Chloe, I promise you that I'll always be with you. Forever. We'll always be together."

"Until the end of time."

"And beyond."