The Love Letter

"Chloe, cut it out! I have to pee!" Max was giggling hysterically.

Chloe joined in with her friend and giggled loudly. "You know the score, Maxo - what are the magic words?"

"Shiver me timbers!"

"Uhuh. You missed something out."

"Chloeee! I can't say that now. Pleeeeease. I seriously am going to wet myself if you don't let me go."

"I suppose I could show a little mercy just this once, seeming as I love you. But I owe you one. Keep 'em peeled, Caulfield. Chloe Price always gets her girl."

"You're just wicked to me. And I love you too."

"You'd sure better do." Chloe gaze followed her friend as she walked away, then she leaned over the breakfast bar, raising her feet from the floor and idly swinging her legs side-to-side. "Mom, where's Dad? What's he doing?"

"He said he had some paperwork to go through before dinner. I think he's up in the bedroom. If you're going up, please tell him that dinner won't be too long."

"Cool. Thanks. I will do." Chloe bounded up the stairs three at a time and knocked on the door before opening it and poking her head into the room.

"Come on in, my precious Princess." said William with his head facing the window, wiping his face with his sleeve as he placed several sheets of white paper on the bedside cabinet, face down.

Chloe leapt on to the bed energetically and hugged her father tightly.

"Whoa there horsey!" laughed William, turning back around and wrapping both of his arms around his daughter.

"I just thought I'd give you a break from your boring paperwork. It's tickle time!"

"Oh no! The dreaded tickle monster is loose and on the rampage! Somebody please help me!"

Chloe tickled her father vigorously before hugging him again and kissing him on the cheek. "I love you Daddy."

William's already moist eyes began to well even more. "I love you too, my Princess. So very much. All the way to the stars...and back. For eternity. Never forget that."

"Ditto." Chloe kissed him again. "When are you coming back down? I miss you. What paperwork are you doing, anyway? Is it really that important? Can't it wait?"

"I'm sorry Chloe, but this particular letter can't wait, I'm afraid. Time waits for no man. Letters don't get any more important than this one I'm writing now, but I'll come down soon, I promise you sweetheart. I miss you too, my baby. I just have to finish writing the letter first."

"Now I'm intrigued. A very important, urgent letter? Who to? Anyone I know?"

"Yes, you know them very well, but that would be telling, wouldn't it?"

"Awwww Dad. Tell me. Pretty please."

"Nice try, but not this time beautiful. One day you'll know all about it, I promise. You'll just have to be patient. And you're being so terribly nosy. What's your name? Max Caulfield? Speaking of our little munchkin, is she staying here tonight, or shall I take her back after dinner?"

"She wants to stay here. And I want her to stay as well. It's been just the most perfect of days, and I never want it to end. Max is the best, most amazing friend ever. She's awesome – even more awesome than me. I want to be with her all the time - every day and every night."

William smiled affectionately. "That's so sweet. You're both awesome – the most wonderfully awesome girls in the whole wide world."

Max called up the stairs. "Chloe!"

"Your delightful other half requests your presence. Best not to keep her waiting. Go to her, Chloe."

"Okay." Chloe kissed William one last time. "Love you."

"Love you more...Chloe?"

"Yes Daddy?"

"Tell her. Tell Max."

"Tell Max what?"

"Tell her all of what you just told me. Tell her she's the best friend you've ever had. Tell her that you think she's awesome. Tell her that you never want to be apart from her. Tell her exactly how you feel about her. Tell her just how much you love her. Never stop telling her, Chloe."

"Er...okay."

"Tell your mom too. Every single day."

"Sure Daddy...are you okay?"

"I'm perfectly fine, my angel. Don't you worry about me." said William, smiling.

"Chloe! Don't make me come up there!"

"I'm coming Maxo. Just a minute."

"I'm counting, Chloe Price!"

"Uhoh. It sounds like Mini Mad Max is getting impatient. I'd best shoot. Love you. Bye." Chloe bounded back down the stairs again.

"Not bye, my beautiful butterfly. I'm never leaving you." William said quietly. A single, lonely tear crept down his face. He wiped it away with his sleeve, took a deep breath, then picked up the letter once more.