Doctor's Orders

"Hi sweetheart." Ryan spoke quietly into the phone. "Is everything okay? It's...three in the morning. Whatever is the matter?"

"I can't sleep. I'm...I'm worried about Max."

"Worried about Max? Why? What's happened? Is she alright?"

"No. Not really. I tried to ring Max yesterday, but she didn't answer. So then I...I called her school. Ryan, she's not there. She's been given time off because she's been in a fight. She's been hurt. I've tried calling her, but she's not answering. I have to know what's going on."

"She's been in a what? A fight? I don't believe that for a second. There must be some sort of mistake. Max would never get into a fight. Why didn't you tell me before now?"

"I was going to, but you're hundreds of miles away, and you must be busy with work and everything. I didn't want to bother you."

"I'm never too busy where Max is concerned. You know that. How bad is she hurt? Who hurt her? And I can't believe you've left this until now. You should have told me straightaway."

"She's not hurt too bad, apparently, but they wouldn't tell me any more than that over the phone. And I know I should have said something before, but..."

"But nothing. I'm coming home tomorr...today. I'll speak to you then, and we'll decide what to do."

"No. Don't come home. I...won't be here."

"What do you mean you won't be...Honey, don't go there without me. Wait for me. I'll leave first thing in the morning. Please."

"I have to, Ryan. I simply can't wait any longer. It's been driving me insane. I need to know what's going on with her."

"Vanessa, listen to me. If you go there without me, it most probably won't go well. You and Max are just starting to get along together again. Going back there could ruin all of that. Max will more than likely think that you've only gone there to interfere, and we'll be right back at square one again. I can't go through all that again, and neither can you and Max. Please, Vanessa, think about what you're doing. Let her find her own way in life. She's her own woman now, and she's not stupid – Max knows exactly what she's doing."

"What she's doing is completely ignoring me. Ryan, she never even replied to the birthday messages we sent her. I want to know why she's avoiding us."

"I think we both know the answer to that question, don't we?"

"Chloe?"

"Yes. Of course. You know Chloe's the only reason she went back there at all."

"But I'm...okay with...with all of that. Max knows that now."

"Does she, Vanessa? I'm sorry, Honey, but even I don't know that. Not totally. We never know which way the wind is blowing with you. It changes from one minute to the next."

"I know. I'm sorry. I am trying, Ryan. I really am. I'm trying so hard. I'm keeping up with my meds, and doing all that Chloe tells me to do. All of this – it's been awful for me too, you know."

"I know Hon - it's been awful for all of us, Ness. I want us to put it all behind us. Just...please don't go raking open old wounds."

"I promise. I won't."

"We both know that's a promise that you can't keep. Are you sure you've taken all of your meds today?"

"..."

"Vanessa?"

"I...forgot some this afternoon. But it's okay – I've caught back up now."

"Are they still working?"

"Yes. Everything's...fine. There's absolutely no need to worry about me." Ryan could hear the lie in the words.

"Vanessa, I can tell when you're lying, even over the phone. Tell me the truth. Tell me what happened."

"Okay okay. I didn't...I didn't forget to take them. But I think I...might still have had an...episode."

"What happened? What did you do?"

"Oh Ryan. It was terrible. I was looking at some old photos, and...and then...and then...the next thing I know, there's a pen in my hand...and writing scrawled all over the photos of...of our baby. Max, I'm so sorry. It wasn't me. I swear." Vanessa could be heard sobbing into the phone.

"Honey, it's okay. I have all the photos backed up. It doesn't matter. We can replace them."

"I...I know that. It's just...the things written there...about our baby...the things I wrote...they're horrible. And I wrote them. What the hell is wrong with me? I hate myself."

"It wasn't you, Vanessa. Remember that. You're just ill. Don't keep blaming yourself."

"Who am I going to blame, Ryan? You? Max? Dr Michel? No. This is all me. And only me. I can't bear this any more...I...I want to die. I'd rather die than do this to my baby."

"Honey, just hold it together. We'll find a way through this. This is just a hiccup. You've done really well for a long time. I'll leave for the airport right this second. Just give me a few hours, okay?"

"No, don't. It's okay. I'll be alright. Just...meet me at the Bay, not here. I'm leaving. Right now."

"Vanessa? Honey? Hello?"

No response came. The line was dead. A bare arm snaked out from underneath the covers and curled itself around Ryan's chest.

"Do you have to go?" a rueful voice purred softly.

"Yes. Sorry love. Max, my daughter, she's..."

"Yes, I heard. I hope she's okay. I'd like to meet her someday, you know? That would be lovely."

"One day. I promise. But you know how things are at the minute."

The woman let out a deep sigh. "Well, I guess I'll just have to wait back in Seattle for you, then, won't I? Don't you forget about me, Mr Caulfield."

"As if I could. I don't know what I'd do without you. I...I love you, Chloe."

"It's Dr Michel to you, if you don't mind. A little respect is in order – your wife is a patient of mine, after all." joked Chloe before kissing her lover passionately. "I love you too. Don't be gone too long. Doctor's orders. I'll miss you."

"Ditto." said Ryan.