The Queen of Arcadia Bay

The front door burst open.

"Bongo! At least let us get in the door! Come on Max, gimme that bottle! I wanna sip."

"Mmmmm. This is tasty. Very tasty."

"Stop teasing me! Don't be greedy. Gimme some!"

"You've already had your tenth birthday. It's my birthday today. Keep your filthy paws off. It's all mine."

"Awwww but..."

"No buts. It's my day. What I say goes. My word is law."

"Pretty please?" Chloe made a mock pleading gesture with her hands, trying to look as sweet and innocent as she possibly could.

"Why is it that I just can't resist you, especially when you do that? You are so adorable. Here you go - drink up, Buttercup."

Chloe pecked Max on the cheek and took the bottle from her hand. "Thanks birthday girl, you're the best!"

"Hello girls."

"Hi Mom. Did you miss me?"

"Hi Joyce."

William came through the door behind them and placed the groceries down beneath the coat hooks. "Here Max, you mustn't forget your birthday hat."

"I'll put it on her Dad."

"Here you are then Princess."

"Miss Caulfield, please kneel before me. I now pronounce you Queen of Arcadia Bay. May all who behold you fall to their knees in awe of your grace and majesty."

"You are ridiculous! But I like it. My first request as Queen is for bacon and eggs."

"I should have known. Seeming as it's your birthday, extra helpings for you Munchkin." Joyce said, laughing.

"Super! This is gonna be the best birthday ever!"

"You certainly are easy to please, Max. Chloe, help your dad with the groceries sweetheart. It seems I need the eggs. Her Majesty has spoken."

"Sure Mom. Oh wow! Skweekinax! My favourite. Awesome sauce!" Chloe ripped open the lid and popped a piece of cereal into Max's mouth before eating straight out of the box.

"There'll be none left for breakfast if you eat them all now. You'll ruin your appetite."

"I'm only having a few. I'm all done now." She furtively nestled a few pieces into Max's hand with a sly wink before placing the bag on the breakfast bar.

"What would you like to chow on, Chloe?"

"Whatever Max is having – bacon and eggs, I guess. I should hurry it up, or I may start munching on Max."

"There's hardly any meat on me. Why would you want to eat me?"

"Because you look delicious – so sweet and tender."

"You're a major goofball."

"You'll be pleased to hear that pancakes are off the menu today, Max, so you should be safe...well, from flour attacks at least."

"Daaaaad. You're just no fun."

"It is her birthday. Let the poor mite have one day off at least."

"Okay okay. I'll even let you have first turn on the swing Maxo."

"About time. Don't push me too hard or I'll have to jump off again. It hurt my ankle last time."

"You are such a wuss. But I won't. Promise."