A Bolt of Blue

"Who wants to know?"

"I do, whore. You think you're tough, do you? Nobody fucks with me or my girlfriend." yelled the stranger as he grabbed her by the neck and brutally rammed her up against the wall.

Max tried to gouge his eyes but he head-butted her before she could do anything more than scratch his cheek. The force of the blow caused flashes of lightning to obscure her vision. She couldn't see, but could hear distant voices and laughter. "Yeah, bitch. Meet my boyfriend. Not so brave now, are you, whore? Make her fucking suffer, Nathan. Finish the bitch."

Max couldn't even speak. He was mercilessly crushing her windpipe. 'He's strangling me! He's going to kill me!' She then felt blazing agony from lower down. Again and again. The blows kept coming. She could sense her consciousness slipping away. He was screaming into her face and Max could feel the white hot spittle on her face as if it were acid rain. 'Do something Max! You're going to die if you don't!' Max tried to bring her knee up, but her strength was failing rapidly. The leg barely moved. Utter panic was rapidly overwhelming her. 'I'm dying! Please. Don't do this. Oh god somebody help me! Somebody stop him! Pleeeease.' She couldn't hear anything now besides the terrible throbbing inside her head. She tried to move her arms to fight back, but she couldn't even remember how to. The last thing she saw before passing out was a sudden bolt of blue.

Chloe flew at Max's assailant, landing a vicious punch in the temple as she collided with him. He staggered backwards, folding forwards as he did so. Chloe kicked him in the face, full force. She heard the unmistakeable sound of shattering teeth. She quickly followed up with a crushing blow to his groin. He crumpled to the floor. She instantly pounced on him and began to pummel his head into the ground.

"Don't you ever fucking touch her! You hear me, scum? I'm going to fucking kill you, douchebag! Nobody hurts her!" She felt someone pulling her hair. Chloe drove an elbow backwards directly into her attacker's face. The crunch as Victoria's nose broke was loud enough for all to hear. "Nobody hurts my Max! Nobody!" screamed Chloe as she rained down blows upon the helpless boy.

"Chloe!" David shouted as he ran towards them. "Chloe, stop it!" Chloe tried to elbow him too as he grabbed her shoulders, but he was more than ready for her. She was no match for him. He firmly pulled her off and restrained her as gently as he could. "Chloe, it's over. You've won. He's down. Easy now."

"It's fucking far from over! I'm gonna fucking murder the son of a bitch! Look what he did to my Max! Look at what he's done to her! Don't you dare to try to fucking crawl away from me, asshole." Chloe attempted to break free, but David's grip was too strong.

"Chloe, listen. He's finished. Look at Max. She needs a medic. She needs you. Come on. Calm down."

"Max!" Chloe rushed over to her friend's prostrate form. "Max! It's me, Chloe. Are you alright Max?" said Chloe anxiously, tears welling.

"Chloe, let me take a look."

David rolled her over onto her side. He could see that her chest was still rising and falling. He checked her pulse, then opened each of her eyes in turn and shining his flashlight into them.

"Is she okay?"

"I think so Chloe. Just a minute."

He noticed the bruise flowering on her forehead, just above her nose. 'She's gonna have a pair of shiners for sure.' He then lifted up her sweater, revealing her abdomen. Bruises were already starting to appear on her stomach as well. 'Damn. He's given her gut a right hammering. Fucking bullying prick! Never mind Chloe. I want to go over there and stamp the fuck out of his head!' He pulled her clothing back down, stood up and faced the onlookers. "You. Go to the Principal's office and tell his secretary I want her to call an ambulance right away." ordered David, pointing at a small dark-haired girl with spectacles. She just stood there, staring at him. "Now, Miss!" She scurried off in the direction of the foyer.

"What's wrong with her?" Chloe asked him, her face ashen with fear.

"It's okay, Chloe. She's going to be fine. I just want a medic as a precaution, that's all. She's concussed, so that will need checking out." David decided not to tell her that he suspected internal bleeding. He had practically used her stomach as a punch-bag, and the poor girl was so small and slim that there was nothing to absorb the impact at all. Who knew what damage he had done to her internal organs? 'You're fucking lucky I need my job, boy.' seethed David privately. 'Because the minute I stop working here, scum, you'd better grow eyes in the back of your head. I'll be coming for you, asshole.'

"Would somebody go to the pool and fetch me lots of towels please?"

"I'll go Mr Madsen." It was Samuel, the janitor.

"Thanks Samuel. And could you also grab a first aid kit and the gurney that they keep stored there?"

"Of course Mr Madsen. I'll be back shortly."

"The rest of you, go about your business." The spectators didn't move an inch, engrossed in the drama. "Right now! Away you go!" The small crowd shuffled off, frequently looking back as they retreated. "Chloe, stay with her whilst I go and check those pair."

"Fuck 'em! Let them fucking die."

"Chloe, please calm down. You've saved Max. The fight is done. I'm proud of you, but the best thing you can do right now is be by her side looking after her."

Nathan and Victoria were a distance away on the lawn. Both of them were crying. 'Keep your emotions in check, David. You have to be professional. I would love to teach this punk a lesson and give him what he deserves, but I just can't. Not yet, anyway.'

"Are you two alright? How do you feel?"

"Just fucking great! That blue-haired dyke broke my fucking nose! Get the cops! I want the bitch arrested."

"We'll deal with that later, Miss. For now I'm more concerned with your welfare. How is he?" David gestured toward Nathan.

"How the hell do you think he is? Look at him!" Nathan's face was covered in bruises and fresh blood was seeping from his mouth.

"Yes. I should. I need to examine him."

"Get the fuck away from me, dickhead! I don't need your help." muttered Nathan through his broken teeth, wincing as he spoke.

David growled inwardly. "Fine. Have it your way. Please remain here. Medical attention has already been sent for."

"What-the-fuck-ever!"

David went back over to Chloe and Max. Samuel had already returned with the supplies. Chloe had made Max a pillow and was tenderly stroking her friend's hair. David gently placed a hand on Chloe's shoulder and said to her quietly, "Chloe, we should place a towel over her legs as well."

"Okay. Thanks David."

David's face gave away nothing, but inside he was stunned. Chloe had just addressed him by his proper name. She had never done that before. He helped her spread the towel over her friend. Max began to stir as they did so.

"No! Don't jump! Please. Not again. Stop!"

"Shhh Max. It's me, Chloe. I'm here. I've got you, Munchkin. You're safe."

"Wh...wha...wher...Chloe?"

"Hush Angel. Everything's alright. How do you feel?"

"I don't feel so super. My neck is sore and my head really hurts. My belly too. What happened?"

"We've been in a little scuffle, Maxo, but we won. It's all over. You did great, mini-Rambo."

"I did? I don't remember...did you get a new phone yet?"

"Nope. Not yet, Maximus. I've been a little busy this morning. But I will. Promise."

"You'd better, or I'll make you sleep on the floor tonight." Max gave her friend a tiny little smile.