Always Be My Angel

"Is everything alright Max? You look somewhat bewildered." asked Kate as Max appeared from around the corner.

"Yeah. I am a little. Kate, how long was I spaced-out for?"

"Only for a few seconds. Why do you ask?"

"The graffiti – it's not there any more."

"Samuel is very good at what he does."

"But he couldn't possibly have got rid of it in that short a time. It was permanent marker or something. He'd still be scrubbing at it now."

"He must have access to really good cleaning fluids."

"I suppose, but even so..."

"Max, the important thing is that it is no longer there. You won't have to look at it again, will you? The 'how' does not matter. Nor does the 'when'. You shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. You have more important matters to concentrate on, do you not? Put that behind you. Forget it ever happened. It's history. Now let's get you tucked up in bed. You really do need a rest."

"Yeah. I guess you're right. Kate?"

"Yes Max?"

"When you came back to the dorm, did you pass anyone leaving? Anyone at all?"

"No. Why? Has something happened?"

"There were some people in there, and they left shortly before you arrived. I just wondered who they were, that's all."

"I'm sorry Max. There was no one - not a living soul."

"Oh. Okay. But thanks anyway. I should really lie down. But I want to see what this is from Chloe first, though."

"Of course. I think that you should be alone when you watch that. But I'm not going anywhere until you wake. You will be perfectly fine here. And you know where I am if you need me."

"Kate, you've been so good to me. And Chloe. I just don't know how to thank you."

"Your beatific smile is all the thanks I need. Why don't you try and show me one? It will make you feel better. I guarantee it."

Max managed to smile weakly. Kate responded with one of her own.

"You see? How do you feel now?"

"Not quite super, but I do feel a little better. You have such a pretty, angelic smile."

"When it is as pretty and angelic as yours, I shall have something to boast about."

"You are so sweet."

"So are you. Now you really should go inside. And I must attend to Alice. She will be lost without me."

"Okay. Give her a munchy from me. And thanks for everything. See you later Kate."

"You certainly will. Sweet dreams Max."

As Max entered the her room she caught a grey envelope on the floor with her toes, causing it to skid onto the rug in front of her.

'Jesus! Hasn't that creep got the message yet? If he carries on pestering me, and Chloe finds out...I don't want to be cruel, but he's got to stop. For his sake as much as mine.' Max ignored the envelope and sat down at the desk. She lifted the lid of her laptop and inserted the drive. It was a video file – "I love you Max"

"I love you too." she whispered with moist eyes.

Chloe's face appeared on the screen. Her eyes were red and puffy. She had obviously just been crying.

"Max. Please watch this. Pleeeease. That's all I'm asking of you. I know I have absolutely no right to ask you for anything, but I just don't know what else to do. Please listen. I'm begging you. I'm really, really sorry. The last thing I ever want to do is hurt you. If...if this is it...if you and me are over, then I understand. I don't blame you. Maybe you will be better off without me. But I want you to know something - the woman you're upset and angry with, I'm furious with her as well. Max, I hate myself for what I did to you. But she won't we be here for ever...she's already fading away...because...the reason is...she won't exist any longer because of you. In just our short time together, you've already changed me so much. You've made me a better person, and I owe you everything for that. Thank you. I'll be there tonight, Max. I don't expect you to be there, not after today, but I'll wait for you anyway. I'll wait for the whole of the rest of my life for you. And beyond. Max, wherever I end up after this, I'll be waiting for you. I will always hope that maybe one day you'll come back to me. I know I don't deserve you, but the only person for me is you. No one else. I have never loved anyone the way I love you. Anyone. You are the most beautiful person in the world. I love you so much that your happiness matters to me above all else, and if...you can't find that happiness with me...if you can only get it with...someone else, then that's what you should do. I just want you to be happy. You matter a lot more than I do. Follow your dreams. Please don't forget about me. I love you Max. With all of my heart. I always have. I always will. You will always be my Angel. See you around."

"Oh Chloe. I love you."

A fine rain of teardrops showered down onto the keyboard.