Flying Away

The tick-tick-tick of the wall clock gradually amplified and resonated until the sound became a heavy, sonorous thump-thump-thump as time stretched out. Vanessa sat with her head facing her lap. Eventually she arose from the couch and slowly walked over to where Max and Chloe were standing.

"Chloe, I'm really, really sorry for everything. You didn't deserve this. I wish it had never happened."

Chloe said nothing in response. She merely pulled Max closer to her and hid her face in the flock of brown hair to hide her tears. Max wrapped her arm around Chloe and murmured into the taller girl's ear. "Shhhh Chloe. I'm still here. I'll always be here. I know I'm not much, but I love you heaps. I'll never leave you, Chloe. Promise. Cross my heart and hope to...." She left the sentence hanging in the air.

"Thank you Vanessa, that was kind of you." said Joyce through her own tears.

Anderson appeared from the hallway and spoke softly to Joyce. "It's time I'm afraid, Joyce - the car is outside. I'm sorry, but we really should be going. Are you ready?" Anderson asked, offering the widow his hand. Joyce pulled herself upright, still wiping tears from her eyes as she did so.

"I'll never be ready for this. None of us ever will be."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I have known Bill for many, many years. He was a very dear friend to me, and, I hope, I was to him. I have never met such a beautiful, selfless, courageous, merciful, kind and noble person as William Price, and I doubt that I ever will. I first met Bill when he was but a young lad. I was new to the bay and looking for a motel in which to spend the night. The neon sign of the Whales was a most welcome sight. As I approached the diner I happened to glance down the alley and there I caught my first ever sight of Bill. He was sitting on the ground chatting with a homeless lady. Some of you will know her as 'Elanor the Bag Lady.' I later learned that he used to sit with her most days, bringing her food, drink and sometimes clean clothing. Everyone used to simply ignore Elanor and give her a wide berth, but not Bill and Joyce. I dread to think what would have happened to her were it not for the Price family. I strolled into the diner and I had my first taste of Joyce's cooking, and I have never tasted anything like it since. Those of you who have been fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of Joyce's culinary expertise will know exactly what I mean. After I had finished eating, Joyce came over to my booth, refilled my coffee and actually sat down with me - just for a chat. The two of us were soon joined by Bill. Upon hearing about my predicament, they immediately insisted that I stay the night at their home. I spent the rest of the day with them, as they filled me in with information about the bay, and then spent the night in the garage on a camping bed, waking in the morning to the delicious aroma of bacon wafting from the kitchen where Joyce was already working her magic. I have been immensely grateful to both of them ever since that day. Bill and Joyce are two of the most wonderful people on earth. They are quite simply angels. I don't have words for how tragic and undeserved it is that they have suddenly been torn apart like this. They should have been together forever. Maybe in time they will be reunited again. I hope so."

Ray Wells wiped tears from his eyes before continuing. "I like to think that Bill was just too beautiful for this world. He was like the prettiest of butterflies, and the colour of his wings was just too bright. So he flew away. The part of me that knows it was a sin to keep him here does rejoice. Yet, the place that I live in is that much more drab and empty now that he has left it. I just...I miss my friend."

He paused for a moment to compose himself. His gaze lingered upon the two weeping girls in the front row. Their heads were bowed and resting on each other as they held hands tightly. "William was a highly intelligent man and he conversed with me about many and varied subjects, but there was one topic he spoke about more than any other – 'his girls'. When he spoke about Chloe and Max, you could almost see the love he had for the pair of them shining out from deep within him – the light of a golden sun. His 'Princess and Munchkin' were the centre of his universe. Bill once told me that Chloe and Max were like a brilliant-blue supernova, and looking at them here today, I can well believe him. I once made Bill a promise, and the time has come for me to honour that promise. So, Chloe and Max, I have a special message just for the pair of you from someone who loves you very, very much."

Ray extracted a small brown envelope from his breast pocket. The two young girls slowly raised their heads and tried to focus on the bald man in front of them through tearful eyes. He slid a white sheet of paper from the envelope and held it out in front of him at arm's length.

"Chloe, Max, my beautiful little baby angels, please don't be sad. I'm still here. I'm never leaving you. I'll always be with you. I love you more than I do anyone on earth. This isn't the end – this is just the beginning. Every word of what I say is true. Remember – The Price is always right. I love you both very, very much."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The light of the setting sun bathed the casket in its glorious glow, infusing the timber with an entrancing golden shimmer. From the blue-gold sky a butterfly descended slowly, eventually landing upon the top of the casket where it gracefully fluttered its wings. No one noticed the cowled figure in the distance, partially concealed by the shade of the foliage, her hand resting lovingly upon the neck of the doe standing beside her.