Aria of an Angel

"What are you doing here? You're not a student here. If you've come to start any more trou..." said Victoria in a high-pitched tone.

Chloe could see the fear in her eyes. "I'm not here for you, that's for fucking sure. You're nothing...but I fucking swear if you so much as breathe anywhere near Max again that broken nose will be just the start of your problems. I'll rip your fucking throat out if you go anywhere near her again. Nobody hurts her. You got that, bitch?" snarled Chloe. "Now get the fuck out of my way."

"I'm going to get security. You can't threaten me like that. And you're not allowed in here. Courtney, go to the office and tell them to fetch security."

Chloe burst out laughing. "Do it. Go on. I can go wherever the fuck I like here, and no one can stop me. Least of all you and your obedient little minions."

"We'll see about that."

"Yes. We will." said Chloe as she barged past the three girls.

"This isn't over." said Victoria to Chloe's back.

"For your sake, you'd better hope that it is." Chloe replied menacingly. "You have no idea who you're fucking with."

It felt really strange walking past Rachel's old room. Chloe tried really hard to shut out the memories of all that had happened in there. She failed. As Chloe entered Max's room she let out a quiet gasp. It was exactly as it was when she had seen it in her vision. "Serious freaky fucking shit." She hadn't noticed the panda adorning the plant before. "Like my keychain." she muttered to herself quietly. She filled the bag she was carrying with as much of Max's clothing as she could fit inside, then casually tossed it onto the floor next to the door.

"So Maxo, what sort of tunes are you into now? Classical crap or some other artsy-fartsy shit, I'll bet." Chloe hit play, and she recognised the song immediately, raising her eyebrows in mild surprise as she idly gazed at the photos upon the wall. "Mogwai. Nice one Maximus. Maybe there's hope for you yet. And holy fuck Max you sure do take a lot of fucking photographs! Jesus!" She noticed the teddy resting upon the cushion. "Oh man. Captain! Awwww. I remember you, little buddy. She still loves you after all this time, eh? Even after you tried to choke her? Bad Captain! Suppose I'd best take you with me as well, huh?" Chloe flopped down onto the bed and made space for the bear and closed the bag. Then she picked up the cushion with both hands and held it to her face, inhaling the scent deeply through her nose. 'Oh Max. Your pillow still smells exactly the same as it did when we were kids. God I love you Max. I wish you knew just how much.' She went to replace the cushion and noticed the journal that had been concealed previously. 'She never changes – she still keeps a diary. I wonder if there's anything in there about me? No, Price, you are not going to read it. Don't be a fucking total douchebag all your life. We don't keep secrets from each other...well, until now, eh Chloe? And as secrets go, boy are these ones biggies.' Chloe was just about to leave when she spotted the box. "Coconut bites? Don't mind if I do. Thanks Maxo." She popped one into her mouth and opened the door...to see a boy standing there with his arm hanging in mid-air, a slightly shocked look upon his face.

"Er. Hi."

Chloe hastily swallowed before speaking. "Yeah? Who the fuck are you? What do you want?"

"Um...my name's Warren...I...I just wondered if...Max was here. That's...all."

"No. She isn't here. She's at my house. What did you want her for?"

"Um...nothing. It doesn't matter. I'd best be going. Sorry to have bothered you. Bye." The boy began to quickly walk away down the corridor.

"Yo. Don't just fuck off like that. Do you know who I am?"

"Yeah...you're Max's friend from the fight...and I spoke to you in the car lot. You asked me..."

"That's right - I'm her best friend. And I know what I said." interrupted Chloe. "Now pin your ears back and listen. Max has had a hard time here so far, and the last thing she needs right now is people like you pestering her."

"But I was only..."

"I know damn well what you're after, knobhound, and you ain't fucking getting it. Not from Max, you aren't. Got it? You're not good enough for her. Leave her alone. She's not interested. Okay?"

"Jeez. Okay. Sorry."

"You'll be a damn sight more sorry if I find out that you're bothering her. Now run off back to your classes, nerdy boy. And remember what I said."

Warren scurried away and out of the door, never looking back once.

"Prick." Chloe muttered to herself under her breath before tapping on Kate's door. It opened almost straightaway.

"You must be Chloe. Max has told me so much about you. Please. Come on in." Kate moved aside and invited Chloe in with her arm. "I'm really glad to finally see you in person. It's very nice to meet you."

"You too. Max asked me to come and see you and let you know...she's been in a fight, and she's staying with me at my house."

"Yes. I know. How is she? Fine, I trust?"

"Yeah. She's still a bit bruised, sore and a little shaken, but I'm looking after her. We'll make sure that she's okay. And she told me to thank you for everything. And...thanks from me as well, Kate. Thanks for being there for her."

"How very sweet of you both. Max is truly blessed to have a friend such as you by her side."

"I think you've got that the wrong way round."

"How so?"

"I'm...I've done things...and...Max deserves better than me. Much, much better. I'm not good enough for her. I don't deserve her. She's perfect, and I'm...I'm just a fucked-up mess. I treated Max bad. Real bad. I've been an utter douche...and not just to Max, either." Chloe was stunned at the words falling out of her mouth. 'Why in the fuck am I telling her all this? I've only just met her and I don't even know her. And here I am spilling out my life story to her. What the fuck?'

"You underestimate yourself, Chloe. You are truly and genuinely awesome. I know that you are the best thing that has ever happened to Max. And she is the best thing that ever happened to you. You two are meant to be together. You need each other."

"What? How in the...? How do you know all this?"

"Chloe, I know many things. I see things that others cannot, or do not, see. I see everything, Chloe. I see your father. I see Max. And I see you. And right now, you need to see yourself through the prism of Max's eyes. There is much else you have to see, also. I have much to show you. I can open your eyes. I can help you see."

"But...how?"

"The 'how' does not matter. Tell me Chloe, have you ever listened to the violin? Really listened?"

"No. Never. Not my sort of music."

"Well, perhaps you should. There is a first time for everything. Please, have a seat. Allow me to play for you. I shall sing a song especially for you." Kate smiled at Chloe, and the glow of it reached into the very core of the blue-haired girl, filling her with the most glorious and divine sensation of wondrous warmth. It rippled all the way from Chloe's head down to the very tips of her toes. It was as if a brilliant sun had entered the room and was bathing her in its golden light. As Kate drew the bow across the strings, as her angelic voice poured like silk throughout the room, Chloe thought that she could see the very air rippling around her.

Chloe was no longer in the room.