All That is Gold Does Not Glitter

"Hi. How are you? Can I get you something from the diner?" asked William.

The frail old woman carefully placed the box of cereal she was holding down on to the ground next to the small section of chainlink fence protruding from the wall behind her.

"Awww, look at you - a fine example of youth. I bet you're a very decent young man. Maybe someone upstanding like a doctor or something?"

William smiled a little at the remark. "Not quite, I'm afraid. I'm just the harbourmaster's apprentice. Nothing special."

"Aaaah. Yes, I remember you. I've seen you at the lighthouse. Your young lady works in the diner, doesn't she? A very kind and caring young woman she is. Joyce, isn't it?"

"Yes. That's my beloved. She's a real treasure. I'm a very lucky man."

"Yes, that you certainly are, William. She's fed me more times than I can remember. As for you, I would imagine that a lot of responsibility comes with looking after the harbour here. The very lives of our brave fisherman rest in your hands. You are far more important to this town than you realise, young William."

"I'll settle for merely being important to Joyce. But thanks. And you can call me Bill. Virtually everyone else does."

"The gratitude is all mine. Not many people ever take the time to come back here and talk to little old me. In fact, most folk pretend not to see me. But I see them. I see everybody...and everything. I see you, William. Outwardly you appear content, but I sense something weighs heavy on your mind. Carrying that weight around with you must be a heavy burden. Others may not be able to see it, but I do. Maybe you'd like to tell me what you're hiding?"

"It's strange, but I feel like I can trust you as much as Joyce, and you wouldn't think I'm crazy."

"Too late for me to judge anybody. Plus, you're not crazy."

"Thanks, but I'm not so sure about that. I have dreams. Peculiar dreams. But I think that they're not just dreams. I think that they're far more than that. I think...I think that they're...that they are...never mind. Forget I said anything. I'm just being foolish."

"If you don't want to share, you don't have to."

The woman smiled then, her weathered and wrinkled face completely transformed by it. 'My god! This woman shines when she smiles like that.' It was as if the sun had descended into the alley and was bathing William in its golden glow. He felt like it was permeating every fibre of his being. The warmth gently, but at the same time intensely, coursed all the way through him and soothed him from the inside out. He realised that he had lost track of the conversation. He felt confused and muddled, but in a peaceful, pleasant way.

"Er...where were we? I was daydreaming for a moment there. Sorry. So, how long have you lived in Arcadia Bay?" William asked as he gathered his thoughts.

"A thousand years, probably. Who knows? Time doesn't really matter to me. I've seen many changes to this place."

"What sort of changes?"

"Changes it takes more than a lifetime to see. I'm sure that I'll see many more, too."

"Is Arcadia Bay your home? Have you ever lived outside of here?"

"I might be homeless, but Arcadia Bay is still my home. I've been here for what seems like an eternity, but I don't mind. I like the sun, and I welcome the mist as well. They balance each other out. There's a lot of beauty here...but a lot of darkness, too."

"Yes. It's a lovely little town. But I think I know what you mean – about the darkness."

"Sounds like you know a lot more than me, William."