Idolatry

Max stared at Rachel's retreating back for a few seconds before turning her attention back to her fiancée standing behind her. She gently took Chloe's hand in her own and raised herself to her tip-toes so that she could kiss the taller girl tenderly in the centre of her forehead. Max lovingly placed her other hand on Chloe's cheek and looked her straight in the eyes, her gaze full of love, care and compassion.

"It's okay Chloe. She's gone now. I've got you. She's never going to hurt you again. Promise."

"Oh Max. I was...I should have...I'm sorry."

"Sorry? For what? You have absolutely nothing to be sorry for. It's her that does. Not you."

"I'm sorry that...I couldn't...for not saying anything. I tried, but I couldn't. I didn't know what to say. I just couldn't...couldn't think of anything. Anything at all. I should have backed you up. Sorry."

"Stop apologising. I know how much of a nasty and horrible surprise that must have been for you. It was for me too, but it must have been a hell of a lot worse for you. My poor baby. But listen to me, Chloe. Yeah, she's back, sure, but so what? So am I. I am right here. By your side. You're not alone any more. You never will be again. I will never abandon you, Chloe. I will never hurt you like she did. I'd rather kill myself than do anything like that to you. And I won't let her hurt you, either. If she thinks that she can just bully me out of the picture, she's living in a total dream world."

"I'm just...I'm just...I'm so glad you were here. I don't think I could have handled that if I was alone. Max, you were...you were awesome."

"I get my awesomeness from you. You're rubbing off on me. Speaking of which, that reminds me – I believe we were about to head to my dorm room for a private study session. Come on. Let's go. I know how to make my poor Chlobear feel better."

"Max?"

"Yeah? What's up?"

"Can we...can we just...cuddle? I just want you to hold me. Please. Is that okay? I'm sorry. It's just I'm still a bit of a mess. I feel sorta drained and..."

"Shhhh baby. Of course it's okay. Anything for you. I love you in every way, not just that way. The only thing that matters is that we're with each other."

"You're so special. I love you Angel."

"Love you more. Now let's get you all snuggled up nice and safe and shut the world out for a bit."

"You're so sweet, loving and kind. What did I ever do to deserve you?"

"You've already answered your own question – by being just as sweet, loving and kind yourself. I'm the one that wonders what I did to deserve you. Anyway, around about now is when you usually make some pithy remark about 'all this mushy crap'."

"Not today Max. Not now. The way I feel right now I think I want all the mushy crap I can get."

"Right then, I'll see what I can do. Prepare to be Maxed. Come on."

"Excuse me ladies. Could I get by please?"

Max turned...and clasped her hand to her mouth in surprise mixed with disbelief.

"Miss Caulfield, isn't it? How are you doing?"

"You...you know me?"

"You are a student of mine, are you not? I know all of my students, and make the time to take a keen interest in them."

"Wowser! I mean, um. Thanks. Sorry I've missed your classes. I've been dying to meet you for ages."

"There's no need for apologies. I know all about recent events. I do hope that hasn't tarnished your view of Blackwell. This is a fine institution. Please don't let the odd bad apple ruin your opinion of us."

"Yeah. I know. I just...I just can't believe that...that you're actually here. At Blackwell, I mean. I have all of your books. Um. Would you mind if I asked...um...could you sign one of them for me please?"

"It would be my pleasure. In fact, I think I can go one better than that. How about I give you an out-of-print first edition? I still have some gathering dust. How does that sound?"

"You'd...you'd do that for me? Oh man. That would be super awesome!"

"Considering what you've been through recently, it's the least that I can do."

"Thanks Mr Jefferson. Thanks so much. I don't know what to say."

"Please. No thanks are necessary." A look of slight puzzlement flickered across the teacher's face as he noticed the blue-haired girl, but it was gone in an instant. "And this is?"

"Oh sorry. Um. This is my...girlfriend, Chloe."

Chloe casually raised one hand briefly. "Yo."

"Your...girlfriend? I see. How incredibly refreshing. That's one thing I do like about Blackwell – the diversity. I have to admit that I didn't really know what to expect before I came here, but I've been most pleasantly surprised. It almost feels like home to me now."

"Yeah. Arcadia Bay is a real nice place."

"I agree wholeheartedly. I hope that you can make yourself feel at home here, too."

"Um. Arcadia Bay is my home. I was born here. I grew up here."

"You did? But you have a room in the dorm, and your file states that you arrived here only recently. From Seattle if I remember correctly?"

"Yeah. It's, er, a long story."

"Isn't it always? It's okay, I don't wish to pry. So Chloe, why isn't someone as cool as you going to Blackwell?"

"That's a long story too. In actual files here. I was way too cool for this school."

"I can imagine. Maxine, are you sure that you're alright? I know that we've only just met, but you don't mind if I use your first name, do you? I try to foster a certain amount of informality between myself and my students. I hope that's okay with you?"

"Sure. That's cool. But I prefer 'Max', not 'Maxine'. Sorry to be so fussy and pedantic. I just..."

"It's fine. It's your name. I'll try my best to remember. Anyway, I digress. If there's anything you need, my door's always open. How are you coping with everything?"

"It's been a hard week to focus...no pun intended, and it does feel a little weird, just...being on campus like everything's normal. Like nothing has happened. But I have Chloe with me. We'll be fine. There's a hel...a lot going on in our life right now, but we'll get through it."

"That's good. And on that note, Blackwell duty calls." Mr Jefferson started to walk away, but then stopped and turned. "Oh. One more thing. Now that you're back, I should let you know that there is a nationwide photo contest being held, and I urge all of my students to enter. The first step for any artist is to put themselves out there in the world. I would really like it if you entered a photo, Maxin...Max."

"Um. I'll...er...yeah. Will I have enough time?"

"Yes Max. Don't worry. You have plenty of time. But, unfortunately, I do not. I really do have to go now. We'll talk more in class. Take care of yourselves. Be seeing you."

"Bye Mr Jefferson."

"Laters."

"Oh wow! Man that was so cool. He's so cool." Max exclaimed.

"What? Are you his groupie or something? Hot for a teacher much or what?"

"Gross! I so am not. He's just...never mind. Nerd stuff. You wouldn't be interested."

"Yeah. You're not wrong there. I'm not the one who wants to get into his pants, am I?"

"I am so ignoring you. You are out of control. Don't be jealous just 'cos he's giving me a book. I'm yours. You know that. You're my idol, not him. Now let's go and have our snuggle time. I bet Captain wants a snuggle too. He must have missed his mommies."

"What? I'm his mommy too now?"

"Yep. Of course you are. What's mine is yours. Hellamom and Maximum – the best mommies ever."