Predators

"Mind if I get high?"

"Sure, go ahead. I could do with a hit as well. I meant it, by the way - don't tell Frank about this. I'm probably not finished with him. I'm still making my mind up. I know he can be a jerk sometimes and acts all rough and shit, but it's mostly a put-on. He can be really sweet sometimes. He has a good heart, underneath it all."

"Sounds exactly like Chloe. Having a good heart is bad news – people trample over it. People like me. You should try it sometime, Laura. It's great. I get a major buzz out of having gullible idiots wrapped around my finger and manipulating them. I so get off on it. Right now, Chloe would do just about anything I asked her to. I've played her like a fiddle from the very first moment I met her, and now she's utterly bewitched with me. She's been my best so far. Having that amount of control over someone is such a power trip. It's hot. Fun. Exhilarating."

"Fun? Breaking people's hearts? I don't think I could be like that. It's really cruel and nasty."

"What the hell are you on about? You just fucked me. You're cheating on your boyfriend – with your friend's girlfriend. It added a little spice, didn't it? A certain thrill? Girl, you're already halfway there. It's a slippery slope from here, and it's downhill all the way. You might as well enjoy the ride."

"I dunno. It sounds really wicked and heartless."

"In this life, you're either the predator or the prey – the victim. All you have to do is decide. What do you want to be – hunter or hunted?"

"Don't you ever feel guilty or ashamed of yourself?"

"Hell no! I start going down that road and I'll end up as the prey. People like Frank and Chloe, they're the prey. People like us, we're the hunters. Come to the dark side, Laura. I guarantee you'll love it."

"I suppose I could try it just the once, to see what it's like...but who is there? I mean, apart from Frank."

"I've got the very person for you – Chloe."

"How do you even know that I like her?"

"You haven't just been checking me out. I know - I've seen you. Well?"

"Yeah, she's hot and all, but you and her are still..."

"Not for long. It's perfect. I ditch her and break her heart. You're the best friend who moves in to console her. One thing leads to another and...boom! She'll fall for it hook, line and sinker. She'll fall for you. Then you get to have your fun with her and toss her aside once you're done. Rinse, spin and repeat. Man it's turning me on just thinking about it. I'm just fucking awesome, am I not?"

"I guess it could be worth a shot..."

"Laura? You there? We need to talk."

"Shit! Frank! No fucking way! Put your clothes back on! Quick!" hissed Laura.

"Laura, look, I'm sorry. Open the door please."

"Chill, I'm changing, is that okay? Gimme a minute."

"It's nothing I haven't seen before. Just let me in."

"One second, my bra is stuck."

"Hurry up before security catch me out here."

"I'm coming."

"That's not the first time you've said that today." whispered Rachel with a wink. Laura shot her a stern glance before opening the door.

"Finally. Oh, hi Rach."

"Don't mind me, Franky boy. I'm just going. I'll catch you later. Laura, meet me in my room after lessons tomorrow. We'll carry on from where we left off. Deal?"

"Er, yeah. Sure. Laters Rachel."

"How come you're half undressed?"

"Jesus! It is my room. We were just trying on clothes. You're so friggin' paranoid."

"Okay okay. I'm not here to argue. Look, I'm sorry about earlier – the gun and everything. I should have thought it through more. I was an ass."

"Yes. You were. Frank, that was not cool what you did. And don't blame the drugs. The next time will be the last. I'm a Leo and we don't look back. I care about you, us, so don't do shit like that again. Please don't ruin what we have."

"I won't. I promise. I care about you too. A lot."

"Good. I'm glad to hear it. Now I really have to study."

"I need to talk with you about something else, too."

"What?"

"Can I...er...leave my stash here for tonight? I have to do a meet and I don't like the idea of it sitting in the RV whilst I'm away. It's too risky – I'm holding quite a lot right now. I'm desperate. Please."

"I dunno Frank. If I get caught with that much here..."

"You won't. It's still bulk-sealed and covered up. No one will see it and it won't stink out the whole dorm."

"Why can't Chloe do it?"

"Are you serious? I trust Chloe but her stepdouche is always on her case. If he finds it, it's gone. The whole lot. And he'll give her major shit into the bargain. No fucking way! You're the only other person I trust. If there was someone else, I would..."

"Chill. It's okay, I guess. But it's just this once. Don't make a habit out of it."

"I won't, I swear. This is just a one-off. I just got caught at a bad time. Short notice. Thanks Laura. I won't forget this. I don't deserve you. I'll get you something really nice."

"Don't talk like that. You're good enough for me...most of the time. You can treat me to some fine dining for once. A night on the tiles. And I've seen this absolutely beautiful necklace that I really want..."

"Anything you want. I'll do whatever you ask. I'll drop the bag off later on. Thanks Laura."

"Hey! Don't you dare go anywhere without kissing me goodbye."

"Shit. Sorry. I'm just in a rush." Frank kissed her briefly before heading out the door. "I won't be too long."

Laura made the bed, grabbed her wash kit and strolled to the showers, smiling to herself.

'Man, he is totally besotted with me. And I've wanted to bang Chloe for ages. I think Rachel may be right. This could be a lot of fun.'