Cocooned

"Are you sure you're going to be safe in the woods alone at night, you two? There's nothing that way for miles."

"Chill Frank. We'll be fine. But thanks for the concern. And thanks for everything else as well. I'll catch up with you tomorrow or something." replied Chloe

"Yeah, thanks Frank. I'm grateful for you giving up your time for us like this."

"It's cool Max. Me and Chloe go way back. And I'm glad I finally got to meet you. It's great to see our Chloe happy and laughing again." said Frank as he retrieved a large blue backpack from the trunk and passed it to Chloe.

"It sure is. I plan to keep her that way. It's been good to get to know you too Frank. I'm usually not real good at making friends."

"Thanks Frank. As much as I hate to split you two lovebirds up, we need to get going now."

"Okay, have fun girls. Bye." Frank got back into the car and drove off back down the road.

"Where are we going? Our tree fort?"

"Yep. We sure are. Our special place. I think it's the perfect place for a special night like this."

"Yeah. I can't think of anywhere better. See - you can be really sweet when you want to be. You should be like this more often."

"Maybe I will be from now on. But I don't want to kill off the new me completely. She can be hella fun at times. We both need some of that kind of fun in our lives."

"Agreed. I wouldn't want you to get rid of her totally - I love the way you bring out the 'just don't give a fuck' side of me. Someone has to. You're even more intense and exciting now than you used to be. I like the new you, and I wouldn't change you for the world. I love you Chloe, just as you are."

"I don't think I need to tell you that I feel the same way about you, do I?"

"Yes. You do. Even though I know you do, I want you to tell me. A thousand times. A million times. Even better still, show me."

"I am going to show you Angel. Real soon. I promise you it's going to be the most magical time of our young lives. We are going to soar right up to heaven."

"I'm already in heaven Chloe – I'm with you, aren't I? Life doesn't get any better than this."

"Oh it's gonna. I can pretty much guarantee that. Well hello there my pretty one. Sorry we kept you waiting." The doe was standing in the middle of the clearing.

"Oh man, it looks simply wonderful stood there like that in the moonlight. I wish I had my camera with me."

Chloe reached into the rucksack and passed Max her polaroid.

"How did you..."

"You're my Max. I know you. I guessed you would want to take pictures, so there you go."

"You really did think of everything, didn't you? But I'd best not take one – the flash will startle the poor thing."

"Go ahead Maxo. She won't mind at all. It'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. Max, you don't still think this is your ordinary, run-of-the-mill deer, do you? After all that's happened?"

"No. I guess she isn't."

Max took a shot of the deer as it stood there bathed in blue moonlight. Chloe moved towards the doe and began to caress the animal's face as she whispered to it softly. "Come on Max. She wants to meet you again. Get over here."

"So she's talking to you now is she, Doctor Dolittle?"

"Yes. As a matter of fact she is." Chloe angled her head as if listening to the doe. "What's that Elanor? Okay. I'll tell her. She just said 'Is that shy dork gonna get her bony white ass over here or what? I don't have all night.'"

"Yeah, sure she said that. And Elanor? You gave her a name?"

"Well, it may have been 'Priced' a little during the translation, I admit, but that's basically what she said. And nope, I didn't name her."

"I suppose you're now going to tell me that she told you her name herself?"

"I am. Yes she did. Didn't you beautiful?" Chloe lowered herself to her knees and gently rubbed her head against the doe's face.

"Well how come she's only talking to you? Why doesn't she talk to me as well?"

"She has been talking to you Max. She's been whispering to you. She's trying to tell you something. You just have to hear the message. Stop standing there like a doofus and come down here and listen to her."

Max joined Chloe and knelt down next to the doe. "Well?"

"Shhhh. Stroke her. Cuddle up to her. Caress her. You'll get the message."

The doe turned its head to face Max and she was instantly captivated by the entrancing, serene brown eyes. She softly brushed her fingers along the animal's nose before caressing the side of the face. The deer responded by stroking Max's face with its own. Max closed her eyes, utterly lost in bliss. Chloe watched them with a tender smile. Eventually Max opened her eyes again and looked intently at Chloe.

"I can tell by the look in your eyes that you definitely got the message."

"I'm lost for words Chloe. That was...I don't have a superlative to describe it. God I love you."

"Yeah, it gets you like that doesn't it? Have you gone weak at the knees too?"

"Yep. I don't think I can stand up just yet."

"It's cool. Take your time. We're in no rush."

"You did this last night, didn't you? This is what you came here for."

"Yes. Amongst other things."

"What other things?"

"That would be telling. All in good time Maxo. Now you just chill there for a bit with our new best buddy while I go and stash our supplies. I won't be a sec."

Max watched Chloe sling the pack over one shoulder and awkwardly climb up into the treehouse. She could hear Chloe not-so-quietly cursing as she ascended.

"Fucking dresses! Whose stupid goddamn idea were they? I bet it was a fucking man!"

Max smiled to herself. She was still floating on air. The doe was gently nuzzling Max's face and she was idly stroking its back in turn. Chloe landed back on the ground with a thud.

"You ready to stand up yet Maximus?"

"I'm not sure. I think so."

"Stay there for a minute if you like. I just have a little thing to do."

"What thing?"

"This." Chloe stood in front of Max and raised her left arm in front of her. A blue butterfly descended from the moonlit sky and landed on the tip of Chloe's index finger. Chloe bought her hand towards her mouth and gently blew onto the insect. It slowly flapped its iridescent wings in response, alighted and landed on Chloe's heart, still lazily flapping its wings. Then it happened again – a host of whispering butterflies appeared from every direction and thronged Chloe in a beautiful blue vortex. Chloe emerged from the magnificent maelstrom with her wings in place.

"It's time my Angel. Come here beautiful."

Max rose from where she was kneeling and placed her arms around her girlfriend's waist. Chloe wrapped her arms around Max's back and they kissed lovingly. As they did so, Chloe curled her wings around the smaller girl until the both of them were completely cocooned in blue.