Never Leaving Me

"Let's do a big rainbow. Sort of around the sun. It'll look awesome."

"Okay Captain Chloe. What about some squiggly lines coming out of the sun as well?"

"Yep. Sounds cool."

"Aw crap, Bongo knocked over the yellow paint. There's hardly any left now."

"No worries. We'll mix what's left with some red and use that. It'll make orange...probably."

"Do any of you budding artists fancy helping me make some crepes?" William asked from the lounge.

"Don't you mean pancakes, Dad?"

"In France they call them 'crepes'. And this good French chef needs his assistants if they want to eat breakfast. We can't expect your mother to rush home and serve us slackers, now can we? So, what do you say?"

"Oui. I volunteer to break the eggs." said Chloe with a mischievous grin. "Coming Maxo Paxo?"

"Sure, but no throwing flour at me like you did last time."

"As if I would. You have absolutely no trust in me."

"Max, if you could grab the milk and butter please Munchkin. Chloe, here's your eggs. Do you remember how many?"

"Mom said it depends."

"True, true."

"So how many then?"

"Don't you dare question the head chef." said William smiling affectionately at his daughter.

"Here you go William."

"Thanks Max. Now if you ca..."

Before William could continue, a high-speed flour missile hit Max full in the face. "Chloe! I know I shouldn't have trusted you."

"That's right Casper, you definitely shouldn't have." replied Chloe, near hysterical with laughter.

"She gets you every single time Max. You'll have to learn to duck."

"Max needs more flour on her face." Chloe grabbed another handful from the bowl. Max fled through the patio door and into the garden, squealing. "Knock it off Chloe!"

"Make me! You can't escape my clutches, Caulfield! I always catch my prey." Chloe captured her on the lawn and wrestled her to the ground, rubbing the flour all over her friend's face and hair. "Dude, you look hilarious!"

"I can't even see!" said Max, breathless with laughter.

"You look like a ghost!" said William, emerging through the patio door with his polaroid in hand.

"Get a close-up of Max, Dad."

"Okay. Yes. I think it's time for a picture. The both of you. Over there please, near your new painting."

"I hate pictures of myself." said Max, still giggling.

The two girls wrapped their arms around each other.

"Make me a star." said Chloe.

"Come on now. Everybody say 'pancakes'."

"Pancakes!" yelled the two girls in unison.

"You look awful pale, Max. I hope the flash didn't scare you." William was grinning from ear-to-ear. "This one's a keeper."

"Uhuh. You know the rules Dad. Not until I see it first. Max, tell him."

"Her Majesty has spoken." said Max, shaking the flour out of her hair onto the grass.

"Alright Chloe, gimme the thumbs up or thumbs down."

"Weeeell, I might just allow this one into the family album. What do you think, Chief Paleface?"

"Yep. Sure. But don't forget to leave enough space next to it for another one. I'm so gonna get you back one day, Price."

"Hah! You can try loser!"

"You're the bosses." said William, retrieving the photo.

"But not the cooks? Hint hint, Daddy." said Chloe, performing an exaggerated wink.

"A great cook doesn't put the flour on their best friend instead of in the food."

"You got me. Guilty as charged."

"Now then, let's get you cleaned up and back to ruining the breakfast. You must both be ravenous after all that excitement."

The phone rang in the hallway. "Chloe my dear, help Max sort herself out while I get that."

"Okay Dad. C'mon Mad Max. Let's make you ship-shape and Bristol fashion."

"Hello? Hey Honey. Just making a fabulous breakfast with the pirate princesses here. The three of us are thinking about applying for a job at the Two Whales. We'll just need to keep our beloved daughter away from the flour...yes, of course she has. That's our Chloe...oh, I didn't know you had to get groceries. I'll come pick you up. Now I have the perfect excuse to get a mocha. Be there shortly. Love you...shit. Where are my keys?"

"That's another dollar for the swear jar!"

"You mean your college fund. Aha! You'll have to excuse me ladies – I have to go rescue our beautiful queen at the Savemart. She doth have many bags of delicious grub for us to feast upon."

"You are ridiculous!"

"You'll be grateful for that one day. And no Chloe and Max wine-tasting sessions while I'm gone."

"Sure Dad." groaned Chloe.

"Make sure you don't blow it. Your mother has promised to make us her world famous Salmon Surprise this evening. With chocolate cake for dessert. Max, you'll be here too, right?"

"Joyce's salmon and choccy cake? Reserve me a table. I'm staying right here." smiled Max, rubbing her belly. Chloe put her arm around her friend's waist.

"She's never leaving me."

"That makes two of us, then. I won't be long girls. See you soon."