The Good Guys

"We still have some time before Mr Bowers arrives, so does anyone have anything else they wish to discuss?"

"Bowers? Frank Bowers?"

"Yes. Is that going to be a problem, Mr Madsen? I hope you haven't forgotten our chat we had that day in my office."

"No, of course I haven't. I have no problem with Mr Bowers now. I know how things work here. But Bowers doesn't, does he? He and I do have a little history. I doubt very much that he's going to take too kindly to my presence here."

"We're all well aware of that. Anderson is going to talk to him about that first. Let us hope that he is agreeable. I judge by your tone that we can count on your cooperation in this matter, David?"

"Of course. That goes without saying. There is something else I wish to bring up."

"By all means. Go ahead."

"I know this is a lot to ask, but could you please give some thought to one day possibly allowing Chloe to resume her studies at the academy?"

"You're right – that certainly is a lot to ask." Ray Wells sighed. "All of Chloe's disciplinary files are 'off the record'. I have already seen to that. I would gladly accept her back tomorrow. Most of us here know Chloe and how gifted she is. But you are forgetting one important thing – Chloe has to want to come back of her own accord. We can't force her to return. There isn't an awful lot we can do for Chloe until she wants to help herself. If and when that day comes, and I fervently hope that it does, all of us here will bend over backwards for her. Until then we'll just do whatever we can."

"I understand that, yes, but if she wished to return, she could?"

"Yes David. Of course. There will always be a place for Chloe at Blackwell. You have my personal guarantee on that."

"Thank you. I am really grateful. But what about her criminal record? That's an issue, surely?"

"David. Chloe doesn't have a criminal record. Even her parking tickets have been dealt with. All of the penalties she has paid are stored in a safe place. When the time is right, all of the money will be returned to her. She's amassing quite a little nest-egg for herself. Her record is spotless, and I fully intend to see that it stays that way. I've taken care of everything."

"Oh. I see. I greatly appreciate that. Thank you so much Anderson."

"It's not a problem. As you are aware, we look after our own."

"Thanks again."

"Anyone else? No? Anderson, I believe you have something for us."

"Yes. We picked up a naked man with a sword outside the donut place on Peckinpah Road the other night. He was high on methamphetamines. The individual was from out of town, but we have to consider the notion that someone is bringing hard drugs into the bay. I would ask you all to keep your eyes and ears open. I have no real issue with cannabis, but this is another matter entirely."

"It must be Bowers. It has to be."

"Mr Madsen, I know for a fact that it isn't Frank. I have already spoken to him concerning this and he is going to help us. If he hears or sees anything he is going to let me know immediately. He is a good-hearted man and has no dealings with substances of this type. We can trust him. I assure you."

"David, you have to let this go. I believe Anderson, and so should you. Agreed?" added Wells.

"Alright. Okay. I was just speculating. Agreed."

"Good. Samuel and Hawk have something for us, but I have a matter to make you all aware of first. We have a new student at Blackwell. His name is Nathan Joshua Prescott. Daisy will pass around copies of his details...thank you. There's something...off about this boy – something I can't quite put my finger on. I want an eye kept on him. Nothing too intensive for now. I have a feeling he may be going to be trouble. Just something to bear in mind."

"Ray, it's time. I should go and meet Frank now."

"Indeed it is. I talk far too much, as my dear wife tells me often. We'll just tread water until you return."

"Now then Hawk, how's Debbie enjoying her new job at the hospital? Settling in alright?"

"Yes. She's still finding her feet, but she likes it a lot."

"How is the little one? Conor, isn't it?"

"Not so little any more. A real livewire. He runs his mom and I ragged, but we wouldn't have it any other way. He's a treasure."

"Excellent. Glad to hear he's keeping you on your toes. Samuel, how are you?"

"I'm good as always, Mr Wells."

"Isn't it about time you got yourself a ladyfriend?"

"I don't see that as a priority. I'm alone, not lonely."

"I see. But it wouldn't hurt to try it out, would it?"

"Maybe one day, Mr Wells. Maybe one day."

"Ah. Mr Bowers. I'm so glad you agreed to meet with us. Please take a seat."

"Thank you, but I'll stand for now."

"Frank, you have nothing to fear here. I'm sure that you trust Anderson, or else you wouldn't even have come. You know everyone here. You can trust all of us. David, do you have anything to say to Frank?"

David rose from his chair and walked over to the newcomer. "Look Frank, I know we've had our run-ins, but I'm prepared to bury the hatchet. This is bigger than all of us." He offered Frank his hand. "Peace?"

"I guess so. Deal." Frank shook the outstretched hand.

"Would you feel comfortable sitting down now, Frank?" asked Berry.

"Okay. Sure. What's all this about? Is this some sort of secret society? A Masonic lodge or something?"

"No, we're not Masons. We're just a small group of citizens who take care of the bay and those living in it. This is about Arcadia Bay, Mr Bowers. Our town. Your town."

"You're vigilantes?"

"No. We most certainly are not. We try not to harm anyone if it can be possibly avoided. We deal with many things – most of them mundane. Occasionally we deal with bigger, more serious matters. But not very often, thankfully. We like things nice and quiet in Arcadia Bay. We try to keep it that way. That is our number one priority – peace and tranquillity."

"So you're the good guys? Who are the bad guys?"

"We'll get to that in a while. Before we continue, I think we should do the toast early tonight. I know we usually do it at the end of proceedings, but it may help put Frank at ease somewhat. Any objections? No? Good. Please allow me." Wells poured everyone present a small measure of whiskey. "Could you all stand please? Thank you. Here's to Bill." Wells raised his glass into the air then emptied his glass. The others followed suit.

"To Bill." they chorused.

"Everyone please sit. Thank you."

"Who's Bill?"

"All in due course, Frank. For now I think it's time to discuss the main business of the evening. I must at this point make it clear that anything you hear tonight is not to be shared with anyone outside of this room. That is imperative. Understood?"

"Sure. I won't say a word. Who would believe me anyway?"

"Excellent. Hawk. Samuel. Please proceed."

Samuel gestured to Hawk with an open hand. Hawk stood and addressed the room. "They're here – the Reaper and the Shepherd."

"What? Who are the Reaper and the Shepherd? What's this all about?" said Frank.

"Mr Bowers, please sit back, make yourself comfortable and listen. You have a lot to learn about Arcadia Bay."