The Boy With No Name

"You two. I'm looking for someone - a tall girl with blue hair. Have you seen her anywhere?"

"No. Sorry. But if we do see her we'll let her know that you're looking for her."

"Thanks, but don't say anything. Just let me know if you see her. I'll be around campus somewhere. My name's Mr Madsen."

"Er. Okay Mr Madsen."

"Thank you young man. And remember – don't say a word about me if you see her."

"Sure thing sir."

The security guard abruptly marched away through the crowd, scanning the faces all around as he did so.

"Man that guy's intense. Glad he's not my dad. If that girl's his daughter or something, looks like she's gonna regret coming to this party."

"Yeah Matt. I bet. Let's head outside. I can hardly hear you over this music. I've had my eardrums assaulted enough for the time being."

"Sure. A breath of fresh air. Why the hell not? So anyway, like I was saying before Sergeant Shithead rudely interrupted us, do you think you might like it here or what?"

"These 'Vortex' parties I can live without, but the school's okay, I guess. The town sure does look like a nice place...but it's very small. Not much happens here, I reckon."

"Like what? The club scene? All night ragers? Beach parties and shit? Yeah, because that's totally your thing, Mr Moshpit 2012." said Matthew sarcastically.

"I know, but this place looks a little too sleepy, even for me."

"Dude, this place was just made for you. You love walking in the woods and watching birds and shit. Did you happen to notice all the countryside on our drive here? This place is in the middle of fucking nowhere. You could walk for hours and hours and not see another living soul. Don't even tell me that hasn't got your antenna twitching, 'cos I know it has."

"Yeah. I guess. And I do need to get away from home. I suppose here is as good a place as any."

"Too damn right! It's way past the time you finally left the nest...and your mom. She's only holding you back. There's a whole world out there waiting for you. Your mom doesn't want much from life apart from her next beer or ten, but you can be so much more than that. Do you want to spend the rest of your days working for little more than crappy dimes in that shitpit of a gas station? Do you? It's like she's got a disease, and she's infected you with it – the disease of a chronic lack of ambition. Remember Dead Poets Society? Get out there. Make your life extraordinary."

"Maybe. But what about you? Would you come here as well?"

"Nah man. It might not be too quiet for you, but it definitely is for me. Bright lights, big city for me."

"Well that sucks. We've been best buds for years, and now we're splitting up."

"Screw that! You think that we're never gonna see each other again? No way is that happening."

"I hope not."

"Chill. It won't. Anyways, have you seen all the hot chicks here? You're not gonna have time to be homesick or anything. Now that you're not with Lisa any more, there's nothing stopping you, is there?"

"Nooooo...not really...but...I've never really...you know."

"Are you freaking kidding me? What about Lisa? What did you two do all that time you were together? Just hold hands or something? Jesus dude! Tell me that you got to second base at least."