The Prism of Her Eyes

"Huh?"

"Take your time. I woke you early."

"Early? For what?"

"To meet Chloe, of course."

"Oh. Um. Yeah. Thanks Kate."

"Is something the matter?"

"Erm. I don't know what I'm going to say to her."

"You promised her that you wouldn't say anything at all, did you not?"

"Yeah, but...we really need to talk this over. I know she loves me, and I love her. I don't want us to be over, especially like this."

"Neither does Chloe. Perhaps you should talk afterwards, not before."

"I can't. It has to be before. I have to know one hundred percent that it's actually me that she's loving and not...not her."

"Come on Max. You know that Chloe has never loved anyone as she does you. Anyone. You know this to be true. Why are we even having this conversation? Chloe did not love Rachel. Chloe has only recently realised what true love is, and it has utterly overwhelmed her. You have overwhelmed her...and only you can bring her back. Chloe is counting on you...for everything. You have to cast your anxiety and self-doubt aside. That has been the bane of your whole life. Max, you are a lot stronger than you think you are. I know exactly how you feel. You simply cannot believe that anyone could possibly find you interesting or attractive. You don't imagine yourself as pretty. You wonder why Chloe loves you so much. You think that she is way out of your league – that you're unworthy of her. You think that Chloe is too good for you."

"Holy cr...sorry. How on earth do you know all of that?"

"I have had plenty of time to gain experience in such matters. I see and hear things that others do not. I watch. I listen. I feel. Most people go through their whole lives blind, deaf and senseless. But not I. And not you. You need to open your eyes and really see. Really listen to her. Reach out to her. Feel her. You need to see yourself through the prism of her eyes."

"How?"

"Close your eyes...that's it. Can you feel her?"

"Yes."

"Where is she?"

"She's already there. Waiting for me."

"Well, what are you waiting for? Go to her. Be with her."

Max released a soft sigh, and smiled blissfully. "She loves me...oh my god Kate. She loves me soooooo much. Just as much I love her. She loves me more than...more than...anything."

"Yes. She does. She always has. And she always will. No one will ever love you like Chloe does. Ever."

Max opened her eyes. "I know."

"Yes. You do."

"What time is it? I have to go to her. Right now." Max reached for her phone.

"Relax. You have all the time in the world. Take a shower. There is absolutely no need to rush."

"Awesome. I still have some time to think."

"Think? Think about what, exactly?"

"How to say it. I want to ask her to...but I don't have..."

"Perhaps the time has come for you to finally open that letter."

"What? What letter?"

"You know which letter. You should open it now. Maybe inside, you will find what you seek."

"How do you know about that?"

"A little birdy told me."

Max gave Kate a slightly puzzled look, then slid out a brown envelope from under her pillow. She lifted the flap, and took out a small brown leather box. The lid was embossed with a butterfly and doe. Max raised the lid...and placed her hand over her mouth. "Oh my god are these...they are, aren't they? Oh man. How in the hell?"

Kate's smile lit up the room. "No Max, not 'how in the hell'. Not at all. Far from it."