Together Forever

"How much longer Picasso? I'm getting hella bored just sitting here doing nothing. I think there's a pair of jays building a nest in my ear."

Max giggled. "You're such an idiot. Just a few more minutes. Nearly done. Promise."

"I hope so – my leg's starting to cramp up. And it'd better be worth it. Make me look super pretty or else Caulfield." Chloe raised her hands in a mock tickling gesture.

"Hold still Chloe! Or it'll just take even longer. And how could I not make you look pretty? You're beautiful and you know it. Now quit fidgeting about."

"Yes Miss. You sure can be bossy at times. You're finally learning from the master."

"Yep. It's the company I keep."

"I wish I could draw like you can. All I can manage is crappy graffiti."

"And I wish I was as pretty as you are. I love your eyes. They're amazing."

"So are yours. You're even prettier than me. I have no idea why you even think that you aren't. If I could draw, you would be my one and only model. I would never stop drawing you."

"Give over. You're embarrassing me...and putting me off." said Max, blushing a deep scarlet.

"You are so cute."

"I'm nearly done. Man, I wish I had a camera so I could take pictures of you as well."

"Your folks still not got you one?"

"Nope. They keep saying maybe on my birthday. I sure hope so. There's this photographer whose work I like and he's here for an exhibition next year. I would love to have something to show him."

"I've got your back Max. You'll be famous one day. I'll use my charms on your parents. And if that doesn't work I'll torture-tickle them until they give you whatever you ask for. Anything for you Maxo."

"Thanks Chloe. You're my angel."

"I sure am. Don't you ever forget it."

"There! All done. Whaddya think?" Max passed Chloe her journal.

Chloe was astonished. "Wowser Max! That is...awesome. I look gorgeous! Thanks a million!" She lunged at her friend and showered her in hugs and kisses. "Please can I keep it?"

"Sure. But lemme tear it out. You'll probably rip the whole book in half. And ruin the feather."

"You need to put your moniker on it too."

"Okay...pass it back here." Max wrote on the page then carefully tore it out. "There you go. It's all yours."

"Oh Max that's so sweet. I love you to bits. I'm gonna keep this for all time Max. I'll treasure it for ever and ever. I swear."

"Just like I'm gonna treasure you forever."

"Max! Your parents are back at the house. It's time to go Munchkin." called Joyce from the ground below.

"Okay, coming!" Max shouted back. She moved towards the tree fort entrance.

"Max, before you go, come here."

"Hmmm?"

Chloe held her friend's hands tenderly and kissed her gently on the cheek. "Max, this drawing is the best thing anyone has ever given me. I just want you to know how much I love you. I don't know what I'd do without you. I really don't." said Chloe softly.

"Me neither. I love you too Chloe. You're my best friend in the whole world."

The two girls clambered down the tree and strolled across the clearing to where Joyce was waiting, sitting on a tree trunk.

Life is Strangerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें