More Than Words

"Chloe, whilst Max is busy on the phone, we may as well talk. Just me and you."

"Sure. About what?"

"Are you and Max...okay? Is everything alright between you two?"

"Yeah. Of course. We had a fall-out, sure, but we've sorted things out now. We're cool, Mom. Don't stress."

"That's good. I know this must have been a very hectic time for the both of you. So much has happened so fast – you and Max, the doe, the butterfly, this thing. Just...make sure to take some time to relax and take things easy. Don't forget what life is for, Chloe – it's for living. Make some time for yourselves. I worry about the pair of you, and the toll all of this must be taking on you both."

"That'd be great, but there's not much chance of that. Especially not here."

"No. You're right about that. That's why I called your Uncle Aaron the other day. You know that cabin he has in the Tillamook forest?"

"Yeah?"

"It's yours to use whenever you want it."

"Wow! Really?"

"Yes. He never uses it now, and after I told him about you and Max, he near-enough insisted that you have it."

"Oh man. I'll have to thank him."

"Yes. You should. Perhaps the two of you could go visit him as well sometime? I'm sure he'd appreciate the company."

"Yeah. Cool."

"There's something else, too."

"What?"

"Did you mean it when you said you wanted to go back to study at Blackwell? I mean, really mean it?"

"Yeah. Of course I did. Mom, I'm not the person I used to be."

"I can see that. Well then, David and I, we had a word with Ray, and if you want to pop by his office today, he said he'd make time for you."

"Awesome! Can I...take Max with me...y'know...for a character reference and shit?"

Joyce smiled warmly. "I don't think you'll need a character reference, Princess. Ray knows you a lot better than you think he does. But if you want Max with you, I'm sure that he won't mind at all. In fact, he's expecting her to be there."

"What? Why?"

"Because I told him so. I know how inseparable you and Max are. I figured you'd want her there with you."

"Thanks Mom. You're the best."

"And now for the big question...Chloe, what happened between you two?"

"Who? Max and me? It was nothing – I just said something hella stupid, that's all."

"No. I meant you and...Rachel. You've never told me what happened."

"No. End of conversation." said Chloe tersely.

"But I can..."

"But nothing, Mom. I'm not going to...hey, Max, what's up?"

Max hurried to Chloe and all but fell into her out-stretched arms. "Oh Chloe. I think...I think...it's got my mom."

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"My dad's just told me...he doesn't know about the thing...but...from what he was saying, it sounds like that thing may be already inside her or something. Living inside my mom. It might have been...for years, Chloe. Years and years."

"Are you sure Max?"

"Of course I'm not. But it all makes sense. All the things she's done, all those things she said...it wasn't her. It was all that thing."

"Oh fuck. That's some major shit...I dunno, though, Max. It's pretty hard to believe."

"Hard to believe, Chloe?" asked Joyce. "Is it? Is it really? Think about all that's happened recently. Nothing is hard to believe, Chloe, is it? Nothing whatsoever."

"I...guess not. But if it's inside her, then...what about Vanessa? Where is she? What's happened to her?" asked Chloe.

"I don't know, Chloe. I dread to think." replied Joyce solemnly.

"I think...I think I know." said Max quietly. "She's still there, but she can't do anything to stop it. She's trying really hard to fight it, and she has done for years. But it's winning. She's...forced to watch as it does things...horrible things. My dad says...my dad said she hasn't got long left, if...if she hasn't gone already. It won't be long before...before..." Max couldn't keep the tears back any longer.

"Oh Max. I'm sorry." Chloe wiped the tears away.

"That's not...not all. My dad said he wants to...kill her. Kill it. But he can't. And he told me that he's done something...something terrible..."

"Oh god Max, what's he done?" asked Chloe.

"I dunno. He wouldn't say. He just said that he'd tell me more when he arrives. He's on his way here now. Chloe, I think...we're gonna have to...she's suffering, Chloe. She's being tortured, and the only way we can help her is to...is to...I can't say it...I just can't..."

"No. That's not gonna happen, Max. I've lost my dad. You're not losing your mom, too. No fucking way!"

"But...what can we do, Chloe?"

"I don't know yet, Max. But we'll come up with something. There has to be a way."

"But Chloe...what if there isn't?"

"Don't think like that, Max. You're not going through what I've been through. If there is a way, then we'll find it. Have you forgotten? We've beat this thing before, yeah? And we can do it again. Now come on. Go take a shower and I'll rustle you up your brekkie."

"Um...okay...thanks Chloe. I won't be long."

"And no crying to yourself up there. Right, Caulfield? Or else I'll have to tickle the tears away."

"Okay...Chloe?"

"Yes Angel?"

"I love you heaps."

"Love you more. Now go and get freshened up. You'll feel better. Promise."

As Max made her way up the stairs Chloe moved past the breakfast bar and began to rummage around in the fridge.

"Chloe, what are you doing?" asked her mother.

"What do you think? I got this Mom. Sit yourself down and chill. I'll do breakfast today."

"No you will not. You have something far more important to do."

"Huh? Like what?"

Joyce rolled her eyes. "Do you walk around with your eyes and ears closed? Don't you have any women's intuition?"

"What the f...hell are you on about, Mom? You've lost me."

"She needs you, Chloe. Now more than ever. Don't just tell her how much you love her, Chloe. Show her. She needs more than words. Go to her. Love her like only you can. Wrap her up in your love."