Her Light in the Darkness

"That little birdy wasn't wrong, Mrs Price...sorry, Joyce. That meal was simply amazing. Thank you so much."

"It was a pleasure Kate. But I can't take all of the credit. I did have some help."

"Mom! I said not to say anything! I didn't want anyone to know!"

"What's the big deal, Chloe? We always used to help your Mom and Dad in the kitchen."

"A girl has to have some secrets."

"I think you've already got more than enough of those, don't you?"

"So have you, Caulfield. Should I tell everyone that you still sleep with your teddy bear?"

"I rather think you just have done. But I don't mind. Captain is my favourite snuggle bunny."

"Charming! I'm second place to a stuffed toy!"

"Well, if you wish to knock him off the top spot you'll have to earn it, won't you?"

"Right. It's on! I'm going to sweep you off your tiny little feet. Prepare to be Priced! Move aside, tufty – she's all mine."

"Well, I guess if you two girls are going to have your first tiff over a toy, I'll make a start on the dishes myself."

"I'll help you Joyce. Chloe and you did prepare the food. It's the least I can do."

"Thanks Kate. Extra choccy cake for you...if Max leaves any for anyone else."

"I suppose I could. But just this once. And I'm still keeping Captain, Chloe. If I find him in the trash one day I'll know exactly who to blame, won't I?"

"As if I would! I would do no such thing!"

"I should think not."

"Nope. I'd throw him in a trashcan down the street so that I wouldn't get busted."

"Would that qualify as grounds for divorce?"

"We're not allowed to get divorced. I'm gonna have that written into a prenup."

"Cool. I have a few things I want in there too. Keep your paws off Captain. No skateboarding in the house. And I want you to buy me pretty flowers at least once a week. I reckon that'll do for starters."

"You are such a girl!"

"You know it. That's why you love me and will do precisely as I say."

"Awww. Do I have to?"

"Yes."

"You sure drive a hard bargain. But fine. I guess I can agree to those terms. I'll have to think up a few more of my own...got one. My side of the bed is just that – mine. Stay on your own side."

"Yeah, we both know that's never going to happen."

"I mean, seriously Max, I only have to go the bathroom and when I get back you're all curled up on my side with your head buried in my pillow. Every single time."

"I just miss you when you're not there. It wakes me up when you go anywhere. Your side smells of you. I can't help it. I've always been that way - you should be thoroughly used to it by now."

"Fairy nuff. And what's the deal with sleeping with the light on all of a sudden? You've never been scared of the dark. Big baby!"

"I...just...erm...I dunno...I just don't like sleeping in the dark. Dark rooms make me feel really scared now. I...um...don't want to talk about it. Not right now." Her face was the epitome of fear and anxiety.

"Hey. You alright, Maxo? What's up Doc?"

"I'm okay. It's nothing. Honestly. Really."

"You think I don't know when you're keeping something from me? Or when you're upset? Max, it's me you're talking to. Come on, tell me the truth. We tell each other everything. I just want to help."

"I said I don't want to talk about it. Just drop it, Chloe. Please. I mean it."

"Alright alright. Damn girl, calm down. Jeez!"

"I'm sorry Chloe. I didn't mean to snap at you. I know you care about me. I just can't do this right now. I just want to forget. Please. Can we talk about something else?"

"Sure. I understand. There are things I've tried to forget too. But I'm always here for you - you know that. I can get used to having the light on. It's no biggy. Anything for you my Angel. I'll always be your light in the darkness. No matter how black things get, I'll always bring you home to me. I won't let the bogeyman get you. I'll kick his horny ass! Nobody hurts you. Not on my watch."

"Thanks Chloe. You're the best. I love you so much."

"I love you more."

"Doubt it."

"So, what movie you wanna watch tonight?"

"SpongeBob!"

"SpongeBob? Are you still twelve?"

"I wish. If I was I would never have left you. Man, I wish I had a time machine."

"And I wouldn't have let you go. But you're here now. You're back home with me. Screw everything else. Now is what matters. We're here, with each other."

"Yep. And that's right where I'm staying. Forever."

"Too right dude. The Pirates of Arcadia Bay are back in action. Hey, what about one of the Jack Sparrow flicks? He's uber cool."

"I s'pose. Or maybe Blade Runner or something?"

"Yeah, why not? I so told you Deckard was a replicant, but you never believed me. Loser. Yet another win for Team Price!"

"Since when? What? And there is no 'Team Price' any more. We are Team Pricefield. There's no you without me. And no me without you. That's going into the prenup as well."

"Girl, you are so behind the times. Don't they have electricity in Seattle yet or something? Scott confirmed that he was a replicant years ago. And do you mean that when we get married we're going to change our name to that?"

"I dunno. I haven't really given it much serious thought. I suppose we could. Or keep our own names and save that for our kids. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I guess."

"I happen to like Caulfield. Hmmm. Chloe Caulfield. Not bad. I quite like the sound of that."

"But then you wouldn't be my 'precious punk Price'."

"I'll always be yours, my delightful dork. Just be gentle with me. I'm more fragile than I look. But you already know that."

"I dunno about that. When you do decide to finally get around to it, I may lose control completely. I can't make any promises. Just looking at you now makes me want to tear all of your clothes off with my teeth. Right here."

"Mom, is dessert ready yet? Max is off again! Quick, give her something to occupy her attention."

"It won't be long. And I actually heard you that time, Maxine Caulfield. I never would have believed it had I not heard it with my own ears. Such words coming out of your sweet little self! Who would have thought it?"

"Ha ha! Now who's busted? Take that Caulfield! What goes around comes around." said Chloe with a huge smile on her face.

Max instantly went cherry red. "Um...sorry Joyce...I...erm..."

"Relax Max, I'm just fooling with you. Ah, young love. Just make sure you're gentle with her as well, Chloe. She's only tiny."

"Mom! What the..."

"As you just said yourself, what goes around comes around. Max isn't the only one susceptible to blushing, I see. Right then, here you all go. Dig in. Chloe and I made a cake each, so there should be plenty to go at. But before you start, let's have a photo of you three together at the table. Everybody say 'Chloe's chocolate cake'."