Way Out of My League

"Well, she certainly seems to have recovered well. I wonder what happened to her. I guess we'll never find out now. She either genuinely doesn't know or she's been up to her usual tricks and is hiding something from us. Knowing my daughter as I do, it's most probably the latter."

"Hmmm. Yeah, I bet." mumbled Max, miles away.

"Everything alright poppet? Got something on your mind? You seem a little out of sorts."

"Well, I wanted to stay with her. It stings a little that Chloe didn't want me to stay. We've been apart for all those years. I just want to spend as much time as possible with her. It's the least I can do. But it feels sorta like she's spurned me again. Or something. I dunno. My mind's a total mess."

Joyce put a comforting arm around Max's shoulder. "That's because you're exhausted. Chloe could see that, so she gave you your marching orders. And don't forget I got them as well. Simply charming! Her own mother, no less!" Joyce smiled at Max. "She only turfed us out because she cares about us. You shouldn't be upset. I'm not. I'm just overjoyed that she's awake and cheerful. That means all the world to me. Our Chloe's soon going to be out of that bed and terrorising Arcadia Bay again, just you wait and see."

"In that case we should warn the relevant authorities. Seriously though, I'll get some rest back at the dorm and come back later today. It will do me the world of good. Are you going to stay here?"

"Yes. I'll phone David when the hour's decent and let him know she's awake. This has hit him hard. He cares about Chloe a lot, though she will never believe that. I hope it hasn't set him back too far. He...erm...doesn't handle stressful situations at all well, but you don't want to worry yourself with that now. Hearing the good news should cheer him up some, but I'll let him get his sleep for now. He needs it. We all do. It's been a hectic few days, all in all."

"Poor David. I feel bad for him. I hope you're right. Tell him I'm thinking about him. And if there's anything you need, I'll be right on it."

"Thanks Munchkin. I will. He'll be glad to hear that. Now then, let's get you off home. Here, take this, and I'll arrange a taxicab for you."

"That's okay Joyce, I have the fare, but thanks anyway."

"Rubbish! Now take it before I fall out with you. I owe you for all that you've done for Chloe already. I'm going to make sure you get back safe and sound. Now I don't want to hear any more nonsense from you. The Price is always right. You should know that by now. Now do as you're told young lady, before I put you over my knee." joked Joyce.

"Alright, I know when I'm beaten. You Prices are always bossing me around. I'll ring a cab and wait in the foyer. Let me know if anything happens. No matter what time it is. I'll be there in a flash."

"Of course, but I really think she's going to be fine now. Goodnight Max and I'll see you later on today. Take care, you hear?"

"I will. You too. Bye Joyce."

During the walk to the foyer, Max suspected Joyce was one-hundred percent correct – Chloe was definitely keeping something back. And it was a doozy. Max just knew. She was certain she would squeeze it out of Chloe before long. 'She could never keep secrets from me. I'll find out what she's hiding underneath that blue moptop of hers.' She barely had time to take a seat before her cab arrived.

Gazing out of the cab window, Max thought about when they had wiped away each other's tears. While she was staring into Chloe's eyes, she had found herself thinking about how beautiful Chloe had become. Everything about her was just so goddamn perfect. Even the blue hair and tattoo. Chloe had style. Max imagined that everyone noticed when she entered a room. Yep, Chloe Elizabeth Price had blossomed into a heart-breaker. The thought that had popped into her head next had thrown Max completely. 'I wonder what it would be like to kiss her.' Max didn't have time for the shock at her own thoughts to register before Chloe became unsettled and broke the intimacy. 'She must know what I'm thinking. She knows about this sort of thing. I don't have a clue. Shit! You're a total klutz, Max!'

Thinking about that awkward moment again made Max uncomfortable, yet strangely, a little excited as well. 'Hah! My first crush and it's on my best friend! Yeah, right. As if! I mean, Chloe is hardly lesbian material, is she? And neither am I, come to that. Christ, I'm still a goddamn virgin. I've not even so much as kissed a boy, never mind a girl. There is no way in the world that I 'bat for the other team' right out of the blue. As for Chloe, Joyce already told me that she had a thing for 'bad boys'. Even if Chloe did happen to like girls (can you hear yourself, Maxine?), she would never go for someone like me, not in a million years. What would she possibly see in me? I have nothing to offer someone as cool as Chloe. I don't have any style. I'm just a painfully shy, plain-looking, socially clueless geek with only one friend in the whole wide world. Chloe's way out of my league. And then some.'

The tower at Blackwell loomed into view. Max paid the driver and made her way towards some much needed sleep, silently laughing at herself for being so ridiculous. 'Sure we love each other, of course we do, but not in that way. Chloe and I are just best friends. Max, your head is in the clouds as usual. Just go to bed you dork.'