#40

"James you'll never guess what just happened!" Marlene shouted, racing onto the field.

James turned around and set down the sacred playbook. "I really don't care unless you can shoot a hundred goals in a row. You're an hour late for practice! Do you realize how many plays we could've practiced but we couldn't! Our game is in a few weeks Marlene!"

"Geez, sorry...It's not like you've never been late."

"Twenty laps and I want full speed."

"Can I tell you the news?" James didn't answer so Marlene continued, "Merlin you should've seen it! Lily totally destroyed Avery in a duel!"

James stopped moving and his eyes widened. "What?"

"Yeah! But I have to do my laps so maybe I'll tell you the rest later." She grabbed her broom and mounted it but James grabbed her arm and pulled her off. "Well you could've just asked. So Lily and I were just sitting in the Great Hall working on homework and then a few Slytherins were shouting Lily's name you know, to mock you, and then Avery called her a mudblood so she dueled him! It was amazing. She flew him to the top of the ceiling, I didn't even think there was an end, but he hit it and came crashing down. McGonagall didn't even punish her!"

James smiled and picked up his playbook again.

"Here she comes!"

James dropped down to the ground and did a few push ups counting - "Two hundred...two hundred and one..."

Lily stared at James, then at Marlene, "Wow, two push ups, impressive."

"Two hundred."

"I'm sure I only counted two."

"Well I took a break after I hit one hundred ninety nine."

"Of course, silly me."

"You know I can show you a lot more over dinner." He smoothly leaned against the goal post but slid off and nearly fell off balance.

Lily snickered, "I'll pass. I just came by to bring Marlene's gloves."

"AH LILY THANK YOU!" Marlene exclaimed. "Sorry James, she was mine first."