#8

"Oi!" Sirius shouted, jogging to catch up with Lily. "Evans! Merlin you walk fast for someone so little."

She slowed her pace. "Listen if your here to -"

"Hear me out before you go all bat-shit crazy." Lily didn't say anything, so he continued. "I'm not here to vouch for James, he just wanted me to give this to you. Happy Birthday, by the way." He ran off, trudging through the snow and down to Hagrid's hut.

Staring at the small parcel Sirius had given her, she undid the twine bow and read the small note attached. Deerest Evans, Sorry, that was Sirius. Anyways Happy Birthday, hope you like it as much as I like you. Handmade by Remus and I.

Lily chuckled at the cheesiness and opened the package. Inside was a velvet box, barely the size of her palm. It looked much like a ring box and was labeled in gold inking 'Open for a fun time'. She looked around, hoping it wasn't anything that would embarrass her. She slowly opened it, expecting it to explode in her face or jump out. It didn't, much. A mini firework popped out of the box followed by more, giving her a little show.

Lily closed the box, the firework show ending abruptly. She opened it again and they started up. Despite her hatred towards James, she was amazed at the gift and his magical ability.

Tucking it safely into her cloak pocket, she headed back to the Gryffindor Tower. Inside she saw James sitting on the couch doing something she'd never seen him doing willingly. Reading. "Hi," she said sitting across from him, warming herself up by the fire.

James stuffed the book under the closest pillow and fixed his glasses. "Hi!" he said.

"Thanks for the gift, Black gave it to me on my way up."

"Oh, it's nothing really. But...if you want another gift we could always go out. It's a birthday special, only on January 31st. One date with James Potter and maybe a snog."

Lily turned and looked at him, her eyes narrow but a playful shimmer in them. "Don't push your luck Potter."