End of the Journey

Start from the beginning

This was not the gentleman she was accustomed to. This was not the connoisseur he was. It was not a stranger, but it certainly was not a friend. The towel dropped from his face.

“Iris?” He asked shocked. She saw the surprise in his eyes and confusion. “Didn’t you go out?”

“No.” She answered sitting on the ground watching him. “Cilan. I want to ask you something.” He froze in the process of drying his hair and Iris watched as he watched her with unreadable eyes.

“Iris, in the light of everything.” He began. It was the words of the normal Cilan but coming from the face of one she didn’t know.

“Cilan, really?” She laughed. What was the sense in trying to stop her from asking?

He sighed heavily before stooping down in front of her. “Something’s are better shown than spoken about. But fine, ask.”

“The you that I know.” She began slowly. “Is he the cover I see for this intense guy I’m seeing now?” Iris watched as amusement filled his features and a smirk appeared before he fought it down.

“There is no such thing. I’m me. That guy, this guy. It’s all me. Just this guy.” Cilan leaned back and stood up. “This guy has different goals, there is no reason to be suspicious and doubt me and my intentions.”

“Why are you in here? Doing that?” Iris asked getting up as well. “Water is like everywhere. Are you mad?”

Cilan closed his eyes. “Not mad. Just burning off energy. Iris. This place is going to be over soon.” She felt jolted at the reminder. That was right. They were leaving but for him to be a little upset about that. She sighed leaning against the wall and looked into the pool. Not worth it.

“Yeah it is.” Looking around she blinked quickly, when had he closed in?

“This whole time. We’ve made progress. We’ve talked more. Held hands. Fell asleep on the same chair. I value everything this place has given us but I’ll ask for your forgiveness for not being able to wait for more. I don’t mind us pursuing dreams. I mind not having a dream of you to hold on to.” Cilan murmured as he cupped her cheek.

Holding her breath Iris felt startled then relieved when he only lightly kissed her cheek. She let out her breath slowly. There was no reason to panic. Cilan was that sort of old world gentleman. He eyes drifted shut as he kissed her cheek softly again.

There was no real warning. His lips left her cheek and Iris felt shock beyond belief when she was being hauled up onto him and kissed for real.

This was no old world gentleman. This was no put together guy. This was not even the reassuring guy he always somehow was. This was the true Cilan. Nervous, panicked, adoring, loving. She felt tears leak out of her eyes as she stood on tip toe to hug him around his neck as she kissed him back.

This was a Cilan that just like her was anticipating and dreading the tomorrow.

*********************************************************************************

Dawn sat on Paul’s bed as he repacked his bags. They were finally back to where they first started. Back at the harbour. It was over. Not that it was not fun but, it got more and more tense as it went along. Gary had gone on ahead the evening before back to Sinnoh.

Kenny and Georgio had left too. Barry and Bianca had gone off together. It still made her want to shake her head when she thought of it. She felt giddy inside. She learnt so much. Accomplished so much but now she had to leave.

Paul seemed just fine. Looking away she toyed with her fingertips. They were in completely different fields and they lived on two opposite sides of Sinnoh. She had her dream, he had his, just thinking about how long it would take and the effort made her want to sweat.