Drew and Iris in a class of their Own

Chapter 15

Drew was many things, but nervous was not one of them. Even though May had disappeared, he did not know when she came back if she did, his event was in a couple of hours he was not nervous. Even though it may appear that he was nervous, he was not. He had control and skills.

“Not nervous OR worried.” He hissed as he paced the bedroom. The only occupants of that room were himself, Paul, Ash and Cilan. Paul and Cilan had left to look for food, while he was left with a half awake Ash and Pikachu.

“I know you’re not worried Drew.” Ash yawned scratching his head. “You got this one, like you said yourself already, kinda hard to lose to some of these trainers.”

Drew gritted his teeth. “I’m not worried about that! Where is May? She didn’t come back with Dawn, she didn’t even TRAIN with Dawn. That happy go lucky idiot might not have even managed to come in by curfew.”

Drew paused his pacing to take a deep breath before flicking his hair back. “Not that I really care, but if something happens to her I’d feel really lonely at contests and such.”

Ash yawned loudly. “Yeah Drew, truth is she made it back a bit before curfew, she looked really tired and she talked to Nurse Joy before going straight to her room, she was back before Dawn and Paul. I saw her because I had just come from the cafeteria. She looked really worn out so she had to have a good session.”

Ash rose up from his bed and yawned again before stumbling to the bathroom. “Look I’m going to get ready, why don’t you go and talk to her to see where she went? Can’t hurt you.” The bathroom door slammed closed blocking Drew’s look of utter disbelief.

“He gives dense a whole new meaning. Did he forget that May and I are sort of fighting?” Pacing over to the bedside desk Drew slammed his fist into it. The pain made him feel slightly better, glaring at the closed door he then remembered.

Drew was trying his hardest not to stare at May as they sat at the Pokémon Centre lobby table along with Brock and her little brother Max. A call had come in for Ash and he had ran off without even a goodbye, leaving May and Brock exchanging wide grins.

“And you say they fight all the time Brock. Can’t be much fighting if they seem so close.” May laughed winking at Brock. Drew brushed at his meal remaining silent.

“Trust me May, Max those two fought all the time. I mean always they were always at it. But there is nobody closer than those two. To tell the truth I think all that continuous fighting is what brings them together.” Brock said rubbing his hair distractedly.

“That or you are a really bad observer.” Max said pushing up his glasses.

“That might be it Max. No way those two could be so close if they fought as bad as you said. I only saw a little bit of teasing between those two, not all out war.” May declared, Drew watched as she unconsciously flicked her hair away. He was not too sure why he had decided to hang out with them but this was one of the times he had run into them on their way to a gym battle for Ash.

May had gotten more confident in herself he could see it. Right at that moment, she avoided him as much as possible. She was probably mad at him about the little comments he had made to her before.

“I was with those two from almost the very beginning. Trust me May, they fought like every day. It got to a point that I just ignored them.” Brock laughed loudly. “I even wondered sometimes if they did it to annoy the people around them or just for arguing sake.”

“Who cares?” May laughed. “They really care for each other, even more than they care for you Brock.” May teased. The table broke into laughter.