Paul's Blue, Drew's mask

Chapter 20

Paul knew there was a perfect word for the situation he was in but, the word just kept escaping him. One minute it was himself and Dawn in a corner. Then along came wilderness girl towing Stuff shirt and Drew’s interest.

Did it look like he wanted some sort of company? He wanted to talk alone with Dawn but there they were. Not looking like they were going to leave him anytime soon. And what was with the determined look on Iris’s face?

Had she noticed the atmosphere with Ash and his rival and Misty? If so why could she not observe that he was trying for an atmosphere. Paul had just begun to open his mouth to state his opinion on the others inviting themselves into his personal space when Dawn spoke up.

“Iris! That was so cool! That has got to be the most intense showdown I’ve seen so far!” Dawn gushed escaping Paul’s grip and flinging herself on May. Iris lost her determined look as she nodded happily. Cilan broke into an amused smile and Paul aimed a glare at Dawn’s back.

Just what did the girl think she was doing? They were supposed to talk alone. Just what made her encourage them to stay and talk? The airhead!

“When Ash issued that challenge I thought I would faint!” May whispered holding her cheek with one of her gloves hands. She swayed dreamily making Paul highly uncomfortable. What was wrong with all of them?

This kind of girly stuff made his skin crawl. So Ash made progress, more than Paul had anticipated sure. Still it was progress. But that was no reason to start going all bright eyed and syrupy voiced. It was scary and weird, and exactly why guys would always trump girls when it came right down to it.

Girls got way to distracted by things that had nothing to do with them or the situation. Paul knew he had underestimated Ash and overestimated him as well. When Georgio turned up Paul had been waiting for things to heat up.

Ash had shown possessiveness towards Misty from the beginning. The way he had glared at her rivals that had gotten a little bit too friendly. The tenseness he had shown at the beginning of the journey when Georgio had been mentioned. It all pointed to an explosion occurring when the two met face to face.

  “It was so amazing the way he stood up for her. He sounded so mature!” Iris said joining the other two. She looked ecstatic at the current events. Paul could understand part of why. Meeting Cilan’s gaze though he had to stifle and uncharacteristic grin, losing the money was worth it. Making the bet was worth it too.

Paul sat backing Drew while Cilan paced in front of them. The stuff shirt had been going on about what he had observed lately. Drew stifled a yawn that Paul felt since they were back to back. It was not that they were bored, it was just that Ash and Iris were taking a long while.

Cilan did not look worried; he was still coming off his feeling from the win. Paul felt Drew shift uncomfortably behind him and sigh.

“Look, I’m sure we have all been thinking it.” Drew said making Paul try to look around himself. Drew had his head bent as if he was in some deep thought. “This whole Ash and Misty thing. It is all the girls talk about when those two disappear.”

“Ash is an idiot.” Paul pointed out generously. There was no way Ash could handle a relationship, or feelings. Or a proper thought that did not involve Pokémon in some way. Just was not happening.

“He has matured.” Cilan said slowly causing Paul to frown. They were going to debate this seriously? The stuff shirt stopped pacing and instead sat on the ground facing Drew and Paul’s sides. Drew turned to face Cilan and Paul heaved a sigh before reluctantly doing the same.