Recover together

Chapter 43

It was almost too much to take in. They all came here to get stronger. To find bonds. To get past the wall that was blocking them.

Paul found himself cruising the knot in his hand the prince had passed on. How had Misty and Ash managed to escape them so quickly and easily?

He had been right next to Ash this whole time. Never expected, never saw that he was capable of such a thing. Seeing Ash kneeling in the lake and manipulating the whatever.

It made Paul feel so weak and useless. It seemed no matter how strong he became. He would never be able to copy that.

Misty too. He knew she was strong. He so badly wanted to battle her and win. But could he really win against her? Someone that had the inner faith and power she had?

Misty made a legendary Pokémon practically a pet. She had been blessed by Suicune. Accepted and now protected by Lugia and him. What had Paul done?

Nothing that could ever add up to this. Every time he thought he had been catching up. Had he been merely left behind?

Winning these tournaments these events. It really meant nothing if he could not get whatever it was they had inside.

Why them? Why was Ash there among something so powerful? Why was Misty, her whole body glowing in a soft blue light calling Pokémon from all around to watch?

Was he really deep inside lacking something? The emotions he so long ago discarded as to be holding back his training. Would he have to now go back for them?

How he expect to become a champion. If he could not step in the world that Misty and Ash were now basking in?

How could he be so stupid enough to think that strength and strategies were enough? Glancing over to where Dawn was with Kenny Paul felt even more depressed.

Dawn was so happy for her friend. Her eyes were shinning and her hands were clenched tightly. Paul knew she was thinking she herself would try harder. As if there was a harder to try for.

All of them that travelled with Ash had met a legendary. That just meant that he really was dark. But if it was to come to it. Paul forced a smile.

If he had to, that thing he was missing. He would learn all he could about it and find some way to use it as a weapon. No matter what he had to sacrifice.

Paul stopped himself. This way of thinking. Was he ready to go back to his old habits? Did he not just hear the call of the earth in the last town?

Paul scoffed. Jealousy made him almost lose his way. Misty was strong. Why should he be surprised she tamed the Lugia?

Now it was up to him to quell his own beast.

*************************************************************************************

That has to be the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. Iris whispered. Cilan squeezed her hand gently and she tilted her head up to him.

“Amazing. There was a subtleness to Misty’s character we never saw before. This Misty.” Cilan replied. Iris laughed inside.

The Connoisseur in him was itching to come out. This new Misty. He was itching to evaluate it. It was what he loved after all.

“I love it.” May whispered. “This just gives me so many ideas but, right now I just want a photo of this.”

“They really are cute.” Bianca said and Iris had to agree.

“This looks like something right out of a history book.” Officer Jenny commented fanning herself. “I never expected this though.”