Cilan's Test and May's secret and friend

Chapter 16

There was no real time for thinking, Ash’s thumb slipped for the button on the pokedex that would hide the information from Misty’s prying eyes. It was not that he was really hiding the information from her.

Even if she read it, she would put it away in her mind as him being curious. No, the real danger would be in the others. They would figure out instantly what he was trying to achieve. Drew would laugh, Cilan would be amused and Paul would be emotionless on the outside while everyone knew he was laughing inside.

Even worse than all of that was the fact that each and every one of them would offer to help him. Like if, they thought he was unable to achieve the thing on his own. Or make fun of his choice. Ash flexed his fingers as he contemplated his choices.

This plan of his was for him to do on his own, he thought of it and was implementing it. The only help and assistance he was getting was from Professor Oak and Pikachu. There was no need for anyone else to find out before it was time.

“Ash?” Misty asked looking bewildered. “Didn’t you just hear me? I asked what you were doing.” Slumping her upper body, just a little Misty deposited the snacks on the table.

“Nothing really Misty.” Ash replied keeping his gaze steady as he claimed a snack for himself. “Just browsing and thinking about some Pokémon. That’s all.”

Misty burst into laughter as she regained her seat. “That is all? You looked so serious a moment ago. I thought you were going to throw the thing into the table or something.” Winking at him, she tilted her head to the side. “What’s the matter Ash? Run into a word you don’t know?”

“Hey! Just what are you implying here Misty?” Ash snarled at her feeling a flush rush across his face.

“Nothing, or should I say nothing really. I mean it just is that I happen to know a certain Pokémon trainer that has difficulty with words, and reading, and research, and let us not forget technology.” She finished with a huge grin.

Pausing for a moment, Ash allowed himself to be caught up in memories of the past. Back then, his next retort would be the spark that flamed this whole thing into a never-ending argument.

“Pika!” Pikachu said causing Ash to consider him as well. Usually the fight would be never ending until Pikachu ended it, painfully that was.

“Mistyyyyyy.” Ash drawled causing her to narrow her eyes. “You really can’t judge me for what I did back then. I’m better now, more responsible, and intelligent and technology savvy, of sorts.” He added on quickly.

The amusement on Misty’s face was enough for him, and the glimpse of what he recognised to be amazement. And there is no questioning why she is amazed, back then I was a real idiot. Still am in a lot of ways. Ash thought focusing on his snack.

“You really have become something Ash, but I always thought you were special.” Misty admitted keeping her gaze on the ketchup happy Pikachu. “To be honest Ash, you being a techno geek really scares me, I prefer to have Max as the really techno one if you don’t mind.”

“Fine with me. Max really is going to be something one day.”

“All the people who you meet and get to know you think that of.” Misty accused leaning across the table suddenly to steal the drink Ash was going for. The quick narrowing of eyes was the only thing that betrayed Ash’s irritation.

“When I get to know someone, I learn their skills and talents. I think of them using those kids using those skills and abilities and I see them making a better world for us or becoming a trainer that I will have to use all my strength to beat. And that Misty is a good thing.” Ash finished as he snagged another of the drinks on the table, it was not his preference but it would do.