Misty's unclear reflections

Chapter 24

Misty was relieved for the few seconds she was allowed to herself. The other girls had dragged her away from Ash the moment they had disembarked going on a surveying mission. She did not mind it, but after such a long bus ride, Misty was more looking forward to a rest.

After running into a sullen Paul, the girls had allowed her to explore on her own. Misty frowned, actually it seemed more like they were up to something. Paul’s behaviour had not been one that was wondering meanlessly. It was more of one who was hunting down pacific targets.

A little nerve-wracking if one thought about it. And Misty was thinking about it a lot. Could it be that the others were up to something?

Pikachu slumped on Misty’s head causing her to jolt back to reality. She really did need to find them a snack.

“I’m so sorry Pikapal.” She said as she scanned the street. “I was looking for someplace that would sell hamburgers, that way we could sneak you a little ketchup. But here does seem to be rather healthy. I feel we might run into a tofu burger instead.”

“Piii chaaa!” The mouse squeaked unhappily. Misty could understand that. Who wanted to eat healthy food in times like these? Her personal motto was bring on the junk, after all her body could tolerate it but should she really risk it?

“My birthday is so close Pikachu. I don’t want to end up with food poisoning or the like. Or sick or something. Maybe we should just stick to packaged chips or something? It is rather hard to go wrong there right?”

“Chaa.” Came from her head. Misty laughed as she felt the mouse brush her hair with its tail. Adjusting the egg in her arms Misty set off for the corner store she had passed earlier. She was passing a small alleyway when she heard voices.

“This is going to be a disaster if we don’t do something proper! How could you just let him do his own thing? Are you guys nuts?”

Misty paused and tilted her head. If she did not know better she would think that the voice was Iris. But what would Iris be doing there?

“The look in his eyes, it was a look of understanding. The others don’t think that he has it handled. But I think he’s got it. Let us just leave him alone now.” That now was certainly Cilan’s voice.

Misty kept walking not wanting to hear anymore. She was not blind to the internal conflicts. Just maybe Cilan and Iris were worried about May and Dawn. She had been. Dawn and May both had said that the boys had their dark moments.

It had definitely looked as if some sort of making up had gone on. Misty was sure of it. When they were in the girl clothes store, May had rubbed her hand from time to time and Dawn looked a bit content.

So just maybe the journey would not be as tense as before with blatant ignoring going on. Maybe they could travel if only for a bit further together as proper companions. Entering the store Misty paid no attention to the shelves but walked to the sodas.

She stared at them but did not really see them. Since this whole journey started, she had been confused. Sometimes she felt like if she was 10 again hunting down a rather annoying trainer for her bike.

Sometimes she felt like the arrogant child trying her best to beat Ash. And sometimes she felt like the Gym Leader that had changed the Gym and her hometown. But only too often was she feeling like that girl holding onto romantic hopes and dreams.

That girl that had flushed the moment the mood had changed that could reveal her feelings. That girl that dreamed of Ash every night for a year while tears soaked her pillow.