166. Times of Weariness (2)

"They are a discarded lot. They are troops that cannot bear responsibility and cannot be saved. The one who made such a decision and gave the order is none other than a burden, so the responsibility for everything that happens thereafter also becomes the burden's share."

From the mere fact that soldiers died to the mental stress endured by the commander, it's all there.

"It means that a mere commander is not in a position to intervene."

Being crushed by responsibility alone is sufficient.

Whether it's a lord or a knight, there's a similar corner. If I had known, I would have simply called them both to one place and spoken without needing to say it twice so painfully.

Lianne quietly lowered her gaze, not knowing that the Emperor was thinking of someone who was no longer here. Words that she couldn't bring herself to say, unable to dare to retort against the Emperor, circled in her mind.

'Your Majesty.'

Blaming someone else with resentment and hatred is quite far from what I consider to be a knightly virtue.

Avoiding responsibility is not knightly. Can it be said with confidence that they are expendable even though they are called a discarded lot?

The King, whose eyes were clouded with anger, will kill the discarded lot of troops. Lianne Rainer will be the one to return alone. The Empire will try to mitigate its guilt using this as an excuse. Ultimately, it is through their deaths that the alliance is maintained.

Lianne closed her eyes tightly.

'I'd rather not have known.'

The Emperor said nothing. He merely told her to go.

It was her well-educated brain that understood the situation.

"For the sake of not causing harm to me, for the sake of calling them a discarded lot, for the sake of the political situation turning in favour of those who should die, knowing all this about those who are on the verge of death and pretending not to know, is that truly the behaviour befitting a knight?

The answer came quickly.

Still offering her wrist, Lianne said, "If you permit the blade, I will offer my wrist right here and now."

I must save them. I will return them safely to the Empire and take responsibility.

"...Very well. To what end are you giving the Empire an excuse?"

The King of Lweche, who seemed a little surprised, wiped his face soon enough.

Thanks to him, my head cooled down. No matter how angry I was, no matter how much the reinforcements that came were not troops, touching those who came as 'reinforcements' is something that should never be done.

With a tired expression, he extended his hand.

"Go back and tell them. The alliance is annulled. If they have any conscience, they will have nothing to say about this choice."

"...."

"....I will apologize for venting my petty anger to you. In return, I will assure you that Lweche will never stand with the demons. Try to do well. Watch over me."

What was expected to take a few months was resolved faster than anticipated.

Initially, meeting a sorcerer was difficult, but Dan, using unexpected connections and ample funding from the upper echelons, managed to locate them and smoothly coax them into cooperation.